The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 12-21-2022, 01:18 AM   #11
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Looks like things are going to get REAL ugly with the overnight temps this weekend. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday forecast lows are supposed to be in the low 20s.
Unread 12-22-2022, 07:15 AM   #12
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road

Maybe 34f here. Not been below 34 in years.
CHASZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2022, 11:42 AM   #13
Rich Z

I sometimes thing that perhaps we should have bought land further south instead of here near Tallahassee 30 some years ago. But I seriously doubt we could have found 50 acres there for anywhere near the price we paid for what we have. At least not unless it was all just swampland.

We have been picking as much fruit as we can off of the trees. I expect some leaf damage on some of the fruit trees, but I hope we don't lose any trees altogether. It is going to be pretty cold for long periods at night, and that is going to be a real problem. I will need to run outside faucets to keep water moving in the water pump tank so that doesn't freeze up.

If Connie feels up to it, we will try to cover her pineapple plants, but I think it is supposed to get very windy on Friday, and that might be wasted effort.

With any luck, the weather forecast is going to be just way wrong and it won't get as cold as they are predicting. Now the forecast from the National Weather Service, Friday thru Monday nights is 19, 19, 23, 28 degrees, respectively.
Unread 12-22-2022, 10:50 PM   #14
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Yeah so much for wishing for a mild winter, right?

When we bought our land in Sopchoppy back in 1996 we paid $9000 for the 4.42 acres. Prices all around there now are WAY north of that!

I just bought an additional 1.202 acres up here in Georgia next to my house for $4000. And housing here is much more reasonable. Over near Donaldsonville there is (was?) a 3800 sq/ft 4 bed 3 bath on 8.99 acres for $219K. WAY better than Florida's prices.
Unread 12-23-2022, 10:59 AM   #15
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
I sometimes thing that perhaps we should have bought land further south instead of here near Tallahassee 30 some years ago. But I seriously doubt we could have found 50 acres there for anywhere near the price we paid for what we have. At least not unless it was all just swampland.

We have been picking as much fruit as we can off of the trees. I expect some leaf damage on some of the fruit trees, but I hope we don't lose any trees altogether. It is going to be pretty cold for long periods at night, and that is going to be a real problem. I will need to run outside faucets to keep water moving in the water pump tank so that doesn't freeze up.

If Connie feels up to it, we will try to cover her pineapple plants, but I think it is supposed to get very windy on Friday, and that might be wasted effort.

With any luck, the weather forecast is going to be just way wrong and it won't get as cold as they are predicting. Now the forecast from the National Weather Service, Friday thru Monday nights is 19, 19, 23, 28 degrees, respectively.
Glades county was cheap.
Unread 12-24-2022, 04:09 AM   #16
Rich Z

Getting ready to go to bed. 23.2 degrees at the weather station in front of the garage right now. Got tarps over the water pump tank, the pool pump and Connie's pineapple plants. Got water running out of all the outside faucets, and the pool pumps are running too. Going to be very cold again Saturday and Sunday nights. High tomorrow (Saturday) is only supposed to reach 38 degrees. I think things are going to be pretty gruesome with the plants after this has passed through. Might even lose a few of the citrus trees.

I think I am going to carry around extra socks in case I run into anyone talking about global warming. I will hand them one and tell them to stick a sock in it, I am not buying that BS.
Unread 12-24-2022, 06:56 AM   #17
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

Only 34f here. I just can't get below 34f.
Unread 12-24-2022, 12:21 PM   #18
Rich Z

Well, if I could, I would send you some.

Got down to 19.8 overnight. Just now barely got over freezing at 32.4. Probably won't even reach 40 degrees today. Then more of the same for tonight and tomorrow night.
Unread 12-24-2022, 07:47 PM   #19
Rich Z

The high today only reached 37.8 degrees. Forecast looks pretty ugly again for tonight and tomorrow night.

Merry Christmas and all that........

Hey! 2022! Hit the road!!!!
Unread 12-25-2022, 07:30 AM   #20
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Merry Christmas to all!