The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 06-27-2021, 12:08 AM   #771
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASZ51 View Post
Too much luck and worn out and it was 8ft coming back. 90 miles of heading right into the seas.

Plenty of big red snapper 10 to 18lbs. Winds came out of the southeast around 9pm and blew 35 knts. So went from 3ft to 8ft fast. Long slow ride back for 90 miles at 9 knts.
Umm, red snapper is REAL good eating! But sounds like a pretty rough ride on the way back. How many hours was the trip back? 10 hours? I would have a tough time holding my cookies down for that long in rough seas.
Unread 06-27-2021, 08:03 AM   #772
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Umm, red snapper is REAL good eating! But sounds like a pretty rough ride on the way back. How many hours was the trip back? 10 hours? I would have a tough time holding my cookies down for that long in rough seas.
It was over 8.5 hours. Once we got within 25 miles of the beach we got up to 11.5 knots. It was a 36 hour trip on the Double eagle 3. It's a 83ft Cat.

Had .30" of Rain Sat.
CHASZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2021, 11:22 AM   #773
Rich Z

Quote:
It was over 8.5 hours. Once we got within 25 miles of the beach we got up to 11.5 knots. It was a 36 hour trip on the Double eagle 3. It's a 83ft Cat.

Had .30" of Rain Sat.
I never took to fishing. My father cured me of that when I was very young.
Unread 06-27-2021, 04:23 PM   #774
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I never took to fishing. My father cured me of that when I was very young.
My Dad lived in Jacksonville Florida when I got out of the Navy in 1980. He had a 28 foot Sea Ray and we fished a lot! He and I took our next door neighbor (a Navy Captain) out one day and found an 80 foot hole about 10 miles offshore. When we first got there they weren't biting and I was ready to pull 10 minutes one line started bouncing, then another, then mine. In about 45 minutes the three of us put 145 Red Snapper and Pink Snapper in the boat! I was cleaning fish until 9 o'clock that night! That's the way I like to fish. We always had a freezer full of fish back then.
Unread 06-27-2021, 05:14 PM   #775
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
My Dad lived in Jacksonville Florida when I got out of the Navy in 1980. He had a 28 foot Sea Ray and we fished a lot! He and I took our next door neighbor (a Navy Captain) out one day and found an 80 foot hole about 10 miles offshore. When we first got there they weren't biting and I was ready to pull 10 minutes one line started bouncing, then another, then mine. In about 45 minutes the three of us put 145 Red Snapper and Pink Snapper in the boat! I was cleaning fish until 9 o'clock that night! That's the way I like to fish. We always had a freezer full of fish back then.
Not sure what you call pink snapper are. We get pink porgies offshore in the gulf and they are fav eating fish of all. Just had some 10 mins ago.
Unread 06-29-2021, 11:26 AM   #776
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Not sure what you call pink snapper are. We get pink porgies offshore in the gulf and they are fav eating fish of all. Just had some 10 mins ago.
We called them Pink Snapper but I think they're also called Yellowtail Snapper. Great eating! I have a recipe called Crab Crusted Snapper! Ohh!
Unread 06-29-2021, 06:53 PM   #777
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
We called them Pink Snapper but I think they're also called Yellowtail Snapper. Great eating! I have a recipe called Crab Crusted Snapper! Ohh!
Odd to see yellow tail that far north. They are bright yellow. We get what i call pink porgies or called rose or red porgies. They are the best eating fish of all to me.
Unread 06-30-2021, 12:08 AM   #778
Rich Z

I think the best tasting fish I have ever had was cobia. Only had it one time, so maybe it was a fluke. Seems to be pretty tough to come by.

We got 0.25" of rain today. The roofers started on the roof around 9am and finished up at 4pm after removing the old tin and underlayment, then putting down two layers of new underlayment on two of the four sides. The rain started a bit after 5pm. Hopefully tomorrow will work out good with the weather, but it's not looking real good for Thursday as per the local forecast.
Unread 06-30-2021, 07:10 AM   #779
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

Quote:
I think the best tasting fish I have ever had was cobia. Only had it one time, so maybe it was a fluke. Seems to be pretty tough to come by.

We got 0.25" of rain today. The roofers started on the roof around 9am and finished up at 4pm after removing the old tin and underlayment, then putting down two layers of new underlayment on two of the four sides. The rain started a bit after 5pm. Hopefully tomorrow will work out good with the weather, but it's not looking real good for Thursday as per the local forecast.
I love broiled Cobia. We get many fishing wrecks 50 miles northwest of Key west.

I had around 2" last nite.
Unread 06-30-2021, 11:05 AM   #780
Rich Z

Interestingly enough Connie made me fish for dinner last night. Something she called "scamp". Really good stuff! Had enough left over that she'll be fixing me a fish sandwich today.

The guys are back working on the roof. They had to remove two 4x8 sections of the wood decking that got rotted out from the leak through the metal. That was caused by the litter from the live oak tree overhanging the porch roof. Kind of my fault, as had I cleaned up the litter a lot more often, that wouldn't have happened. But in my partial defense, I would have had to do that at least once a week as that tree shed a LOT. They had to marry together some new 2x4s to some of the cross members underneath the decking that got rotted too.

I'm guessing they won't start putting on the new metal today, and might just get the old metal removal and new underlayment done today. Rain forecast is calling for rain after 2pm, and it does look like we have some storms moving in from the east.