The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > On The Road in Florida

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

On The Road in Florida Cruising | Scenic Routes | Speed Traps | Cool Places To Visit | Interesting Experiences in Florida

Unread 01-10-2007, 08:52 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default St. Augustine..... Maybe.

Shhh! Don't tell anyone (especially Murphy D. Laws), but Connie and I are going to try to get to FINALLY go to St. Augustine on Friday and Saturday. We have no game plan and no itinerary, just try to sneak out of here sometime on Friday, take a leisurely drive over there, spend the night, prowl the town on Saturday, then drive on back home. We'll be in the blue C5Z since I don't want to have to drive UNDER 55 mph the whole trip.....

We're almost out of time for this brief period of relative down time this year, so we're trying to make hay while the sun shines. Got some deliveries scheduled for Thursday, and the feeding schedule on the animals starts on Sunday, so this is the window of opportunity for us.....

If any of you might be in the area, flag us down.
Unread 01-11-2007, 08:44 AM   #2
C6Eiland

Name :
C6Eiland is on a distinguished road

You both will really enjoy the stay there...very laid back this time of year. The only "hang-up" will be dealing with any traffic issues related to the work being done on the Bridge of Lions. Your wife will enjoy browsing the shops both in the historic district as well as the outlet malls near the interstate. Then, of course, there's the Fort tour, the Gator Farm, Ripley's, and the beach.

Finding a room shouldn't be a problem either...might even want to look into one of the many bed & breakfast's near the Fort for the weekend. As far as dinner goes, we always like to visit OSteens for some superb jumbo shrimp.

Perhaps some of the "locals" will chime in here with some more options. Hope you both have a wonderful time!
C6Eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2007, 02:13 PM   #3
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough
Default Darn!

We'll miss ya's by a Day. We're going to do the bridge run on sunday, then head up later in the day, staying 3 nights at the Inn on Charlotte (B&B).

We've been there countless times and keep going back! GREAT place!
Unread 01-11-2007, 06:23 PM   #4
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynkedad
We'll miss ya's by a Day. We're going to do the bridge run on sunday, then head up later in the day, staying 3 nights at the Inn on Charlotte (B&B).

Yeah, I know. Wish we could hook up with you guys, but the scheduling just wouldn't cooperate. We'll meet up somewhere soon....

Thanks.

C6Eiland - man I just love shrimp. I'll have to keep my eyes open (yeah I ALMOST said "peeled"!) for that place. Got an address or some landmark I can look for?

Thanks.
Unread 01-11-2007, 06:23 PM   #5
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynkedad

Yeah, I know. Wish we could hook up with you guys, but the scheduling just wouldn't cooperate. We'll meet up somewhere soon....

Thanks.

C6Eiland - man I just love shrimp. I'll have to keep my eyes open (yeah I ALMOST said "peeled"!) for that place. Got an address or some landmark I can look for?

Thanks.
Unread 01-12-2007, 09:01 AM   #6
C6Eiland

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
It's not a very large restaurant, so you have to sort of keep an eye out for the sign from the road.

Easiest way to get there is passed the Fort, along the Inlet, over the Bridge of Lions, and it will be on the right shortly after that (heading toward the Beach). Here's a link to the address, etc.:

http://local.yahoo.com/details;_ylt=...stine&state=FL

IIRC, they take cash but not sure about credit / debit cards though (?). Sometimes, depending on time of day, there may be a 30 min. wait or so.

And here's a pic of the sign from the road:
Attached Images

Unread 01-12-2007, 03:59 PM   #7
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :

We've eaten there before (years ago)...good grub!
Unread 01-12-2007, 08:22 PM   #8
Rich Z

Yeah! We just got back from having dinner at O'Steens. Man we are STUFFED! We both got the 1.5 order of shrimp (which is 18 of those bad boys!). I finished off mine, but Connie wimped out and had 6 of them left on the plate. Well, I have to admit she ate a bunch of other stuff as well, and was raving about the vegetable side orders. The wait wasn't too bad, and definitely well worth it.

Yeah I would DEFINITELY eat there again!

Thanks for the recommendation!

We wound up staying at a Hampton Inn on SR 16 near route 95. We got turned around earlier in the day and wound up on the bad side of the tracks for a while. That was some rough looking neighborhood we were in. Definitely don't want to be broken down around there, or hanging around during the night hours. Well, not without having one of my .50 rifles nearby, anyway...........

Going to do the tourist thing tomorrow if we can find parking. Looks like parking in this town is at a premium. Not used to the traffic, either.

Also not used to typing on these chiclet keys on my laptop........
Unread 01-13-2007, 08:47 AM   #9
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :

Have Fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 01-15-2007, 09:07 AM   #10
C6Eiland

Name :

Glad to hear you and the wife are having a great time...and also glad to hear that you enjoyed Osteens!

You're right about the parking / traffic issues there...especially when there's construction going on. Hope you continue to enjoy your stay!