The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 06-15-2020, 05:51 PM   #21
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Well, I guess if all new Corvettes, and performance cars in general, are going to be hobbled with that half-assed (literally) "feature", then I'm not sure I will be much inclined to buy one. It would definitely be a line item in the negative column.
Unread 06-15-2020, 07:21 PM   #22
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

All the performance cars with automatic transmissions have "torque management" built into the computers to make the transmission and rear differentials live longer, at least that's what GM calls it. Even the diesel trucks do. Anything like my truck that makes over 400 horsepower and 800 ft/lbs of torque needs it. But rest assured, there are "tunes" created that defeat these if you feel you don't have enough power. Likely at the expense of a new transmission but that's been going on since the beginning of street racing hasn't it? Back in the 60's 350 horsepower was a lot wasn't it? Whoever thought back then that one day you could walk into a new car dealer and buy a car making 600, 700, even 800+ horsepower and have an air conditioner AND a warranty, right? Here I am thinking, do I want to go spend a hundred thousand bucks on a new CTS V making 640 hp or do I want to put a solid rear axle under mine with a powerglide and a turbocharged 427 making 1700 rear wheel horsepower like Jeff Hagaman did. Either way, I plan on enjoying them and driving the crap out of them. No garage queens here. (I have 205K on the CTS V now!)
Unread 06-15-2020, 07:29 PM   #23
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
I haven't been following C7 issues. What does the "warble sound" mean?

Sucks if you are having problems right off the bat with your new vette.
It is the rear end and many had to be replaced and started with the 2015. Same for the A8 auto trans with the 2015 and up. Just do a search on warble sound on C7 Vette and there are vids where you can hear the warble. This is why i am scared to mod this car.
CHASZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2020, 07:31 PM   #24
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
All the performance cars with automatic transmissions have "torque management" built into the computers to make the transmission and rear differentials live longer, at least that's what GM calls it. Even the diesel trucks do. Anything like my truck that makes over 400 horsepower and 800 ft/lbs of torque needs it. But rest assured, there are "tunes" created that defeat these if you feel you don't have enough power. Likely at the expense of a new transmission but that's been going on since the beginning of street racing hasn't it? Back in the 60's 350 horsepower was a lot wasn't it? Whoever thought back then that one day you could walk into a new car dealer and buy a car making 600, 700, even 800+ horsepower and have an air conditioner AND a warranty, right? Here I am thinking, do I want to go spend a hundred thousand bucks on a new CTS V making 640 hp or do I want to put a solid rear axle under mine with a powerglide and a turbocharged 427 making 1700 rear wheel horsepower like Jeff Hagaman did. Either way, I plan on enjoying them and driving the crap out of them. No garage queens here. (I have 205K on the CTS V now!)
My tuner would tune TM down. My C6 just feels so much better than my C7. I need a pedal controller and a ported TB for the C7. The lag is so bad it feels like a slug. My modded C6 A6 with tune and headers would rip and get.
Unread 06-15-2020, 08:02 PM   #25
85vette

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASZ51 View Post
My tuner would tune TM down. My C6 just feels so much better than my C7. I need a pedal controller and a ported TB for the C7. The lag is so bad it feels like a slug. My modded C6 A6 with tune and headers would rip and get.
Probably not so much risk with the Corvettes, since they don't weigh too much but choose a reliable tuner. I've heard horror stories with some of the heavier vehicles. Trailblazer SS's, CTS V's blowing the sun gears out of the trannys. But these are 3900-4400 pound cars!
Unread 06-15-2020, 08:10 PM   #26
Rich Z

Quote:
In the tuning for the C5 there was a table for the amount of fuel to inject for the percentage of gas pedal motion. Sort of the digital equivalent to the accelerator pump on a carburetor back in the day. The changes I did made a pretty dramatic difference in the throttle response.

From what I could see, the stock tuning makes you have to put more foot into the pedal to get that extra fuel needed for decent pedal response. I felt the same sort of thing in my 2009 C6Z, but since it was under warranty most of the time I had it, I never played around with the tuning for it. My guess is that it is the same for the C7s and probably the C8s. I'm sure it relates to the gas mileage thing, since bigger spurts of fuel for smaller gas pedal movements would have to have an impact there.

From what I understand, a pedal controller just fools the tune into thinking that you are providing more pedal motion than you actually are, to try to negate the programmed-in throttle sluggishness of the stock tune. In other words, when you depress the throttle a quarter inch, the controller sends a signal saying the throttle was depressed a half inch. That sort of thing.
Unread 06-15-2020, 08:16 PM   #27
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
In the tuning for the C5 there was a table for the amount of fuel to inject for the percentage of gas pedal motion. Sort of the digital equivalent to the accelerator pump on a carburetor back in the day. The changes I did made a pretty dramatic difference in the throttle response.

From what I could see, the stock tuning makes you have to put more foot into the pedal to get that extra fuel needed for decent pedal response. I felt the same sort of thing in my 2009 C6Z, but since it was under warranty most of the time I had it, I never played around with the tuning for it. My guess is that it is the same for the C7s and probably the C8s. I'm sure it relates to the gas mileage thing, since bigger spurts of fuel for smaller gas pedal movements would have to have an impact there.

From what I understand, a pedal controller just fools the tune into thinking that you are providing more pedal motion than you actually are, to try to negate the programmed-in throttle sluggishness of the stock tune. In other words, when you depress the throttle a quarter inch, the controller sends a signal saying the throttle was depressed a half inch. That sort of thing.
Greg sure could tune a car. He did three of mine and all were perfect. I am too scared to tune this car and lose the warranty.
Unread 06-15-2020, 09:00 PM   #28
85vette

Name :

Quote:
Greg sure could tune a car. He did three of mine and all were perfect. I am too scared to tune this car and lose the warranty.
Call him. He will probably still do a tune for you when he makes the time. He's still working, just picks and chooses. He's got something else going on, I'm just not at liberty to say.
Unread 06-15-2020, 09:05 PM   #29
85vette

Name :

https://www.ls2.com/forums/showthrea...ment-Explained

You're on the right track Rich, but timing also is retarded.
Unread 06-16-2020, 12:50 AM   #30
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
Call him. He will probably still do a tune for you when he makes the time. He's still working, just picks and chooses. He's got something else going on, I'm just not at liberty to say.
Good luck with that. I guess I wasn't on his "A" list when I contacted him for help.

In my opinion, I would be VERY leery about entrusting my car to someone that is very difficult to get ahold of.