The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > General BS forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General BS forum I guess this will be for anything that would seem to be off topic in any other forum here. Just general shootin' the breeze kind of topics.

Unread 05-08-2022, 04:07 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default SHTF coming to a neighborhood near you?

Just started reading this thread -> https://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1310605/pg1

But it sure sounds like trouble a brewing. Anyone have any direct experience to support or call BS on this stuff? I know Jeff is doing long haul trucking, so I would be curious to hear his take on this.
Unread 05-12-2022, 10:19 PM   #2
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

There is much truth in this. We have had issues even getting fuel filters on the road and finding enough synthetic oil (11 gallons) to do an oil change on the past year or so. And it's hard to find the premium Fleetguard filters we use. It's gotten to where our shop issues fuel filters to keep on the truck so we have them if we can't find any at the various shops we occasionally use.

Our company buys everything in bulk for the two shops and we prefer to have all PM done in house anyway as it saves money and we know the guys that run the shop tend to do things right. They will actually deadhead us to the shop for PM and other repairs. We are fortunate that our trucks are mostly all 2020 or newer and we get new ones every three years so parts issues really isn't a problem for us. We use the best of everything. Michelin tires on trucks and trailers, disc brakes all around, fuel filters changed every 15K miles, oil changes with Delo full synthetic every 30K miles, where as many other companies do oil changes at 75K-100K miles.

We are very lucky, blessed actually. While many other companies are struggling with the high fuel cost and supply chain woes we are a specialty company that hauls critical temperature controlled pharmaceuticals and like supplies and equipment. Even COVID vaccines and test kits. We also transport blood across the country along with experimental drugs and vaccines. We are quite literally recession proof.

We often don't know what we are transporting but we occasionally see the invoices that are literally in the millions of dollars. We have hauled a package the size of a shoe box from California to Canada that had a $700K value. Hauled in the back of a refrigerated 53 foot trailer. Money is not a concern of our clients. I don't know what we charge for our services but based on what they pay us, it's stupid amounts of money. My wife and I EACH make over six figures annually now. We are on a dedicated route now that starts on Monday mornings and gets us home before dark on Thursday. We still pinch ourselves to make sure this isn't a dream.

Our company and two others were bought out by a Healthcare company about a year ago. The families that owned us still call the shots and still run the business but absolutely nothing has changed other than our pay has gotten better. (and it was already very good) This company was smart. They can insure that their products will always have transportation and they have the money to make sure of that.

I am not at liberty to reveal any names of the companies involved but I am certainly glad I work for them. They're definitely making our dreams come true.

One thing on the horizon of concern though, the FMCSA has stated that they are looking to electronically control the speed of our trucks in the near future. They haven't yet decided what that speed will be, either 68, 65, or 60 mph. Our trucks run 72 mph. If you think the supply chain has problems now, just wait until this is implemented. Drivers generally get paid by the mile. MPH equals money. With all the other issues and now you cut a drivers ability to earn money by cutting their speed?! You will see many independent truckers leave the industry. And all the rest of us will be lined up like a train on the tracks, unable to pass each other. Gridlock on the interstates!

All of the afore mentioned trucking issues will hurt the independent truckers more so than the big companies. They can't absorb what the big companies can. And quite a few companies that don't have solid finances will fail also. It's coming.
Unread 05-13-2022, 08:35 PM   #3
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Glad to hear things are going really well for you, Jeff. When I read that article I thought of you and hoped you weren't impacted by it.
Unread 05-13-2022, 09:20 PM   #4
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Living the dream as they say, quite literally!
Unread 03-25-2024, 08:57 AM   #5
FaraHilde

Name :
FaraHilde is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
There is much truth in this. We have had issues even getting fuel filters on the road and finding enough synthetic oil (11 gallons) to do an oil change on the past year or so. And it's hard to find the premium Fleetguard filters we use. It's gotten to where our shop issues fuel filters to keep on the truck so we have them if we can't find any at the various shops we occasionally use.

Our company buys everything in bulk for the two shops and we prefer to have all PM done in house anyway as it saves money and we know the guys that run the shop tend to do things right. They will actually deadhead us to the shop for PM and other repairs. We are fortunate that our trucks are mostly all 2020 or newer and we get new ones every three years so parts issues really isn't a problem for us. We use the best of everything. Michelin tires on trucks and trailers, disc brakes all around, fuel filters changed every 15K miles, oil changes with Delo full synthetic every 30K miles, where as many other companies do oil changes at 75K-100K miles.

We are very lucky, blessed actually. While many other companies are struggling with the high fuel cost and supply chain woes we are a specialty company that hauls critical temperature controlled pharmaceuticals and like supplies and equipment. Even COVID vaccines and test kits. We also transport blood across the country along with experimental drugs and vaccines. We are quite literally recession proof.

We often don't know what we are transporting but we occasionally see the invoices that are literally in the millions of dollars. We have hauled a package the size of a shoe box from California to Canada that had a $700K value. Hauled in the back of a refrigerated 53 foot trailer. Money is not a concern of our clients. I don't know what we charge for our services but based on what they pay us, it's stupid amounts of money. My wife and I EACH make over six figures annually now. We are on a dedicated route now that starts on Monday mornings and gets us home before dark on Thursday. We still pinch ourselves to make sure this isn't a dream.

Our company and two others were bought out by a Healthcare company about a year ago. The families that owned us still call the shots and still run the business but absolutely nothing has changed other than our pay has gotten better. (and it was already very good) This company was smart. They can insure that their products will always have transportation and they have the money to make sure of that.

I am not at liberty to reveal any names of the companies involved but I am certainly glad I work for them. They're definitely making our dreams come true.

One thing on the horizon of concern though, the FMCSA has stated that they are looking to electronically control the speed of our trucks in the near future. They haven't yet decided what that speed will be, either 68, 65, or 60 mph. Our trucks run 72 mph. If you think the supply chain has problems now, just wait until this is implemented. Drivers generally get paid by the mile. MPH equals money. With all the other issues and now you cut a drivers ability to earn money by cutting their speed?! You will see many independent truckers leave the industry. And all the rest of us will be lined up like a train on the tracks, unable to pass each other. Gridlock on the interstates!

All of the afore mentioned trucking issues will hurt the independent truckers more so than the big companies. They can't absorb what the big companies can. And quite a few companies that don't have solid finances will fail also. It's coming.
The shared narrative provides an insightful glimpse into the challenges and advantages present within the trucking industry, offering a comprehensive view of the complex environment navigated by professionals in this field. Through firsthand experiences, the commenter delves into the difficulties encountered in procuring essential supplies like fuel filters and synthetic oil, as well as the strategic measures adopted by their company to address these hurdles through internal maintenance procedures and bulk purchasing.

Quite interesting!
FaraHilde is offline   Reply With Quote