The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Classifieds and Commercial Sponsors > RSS Classifieds

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

RSS Classifieds This is a special forum that utilizes RSS feeds to plug in classified ads for Corvettes.

Unread 10-01-2022, 10:22 AM   #1
RSS Feed
RSS Feed Robot

Name :
RSS Feed has disabled reputation
Default FS (For Sale) 1972 coupe SB 4spd w/AC.....

This is going to be one of the most honest ads you will ever read...See posts below for info when I asked for help pricing back during the summer. Most of the info about the car and work that's been done is in the cut-and-pasted post below.

Asking price is $26,500 is it work that....? To me it's not so that's what I will sell it for, Is it worth $18,000 to me it is so I will not sell it for that.

The car will come with all the extra parts I have collected over the years including (15) cans of R12. Trading those for a good AC guy to get the AC back working should be an easy deal. I have a couple of extra carbs, calipers, misc hardware.

This is a true OBO ad....I have a new truck on order and the Corvette is sitting in it's spot once it gets here, that's not going to be till early summer....Best offer will not be excepted till new truck arrives. $26,500 will buy it today..... $26,000 will have to wait till early summer. As you can tell I'm not real happy about getting rid of MY72Vette I wish I had a 3 car garage.

I can be reached via PM here or by cell 770-653-9019.
Brian Wheeler

All info below was cut-and-pasted from a post I made in early summer......

Wee
Drifting

Received 322 Likes on 230 Posts

Default Help me price my 1972......Thinking about selling my 1972 4spd 350 coupe. Numbers do not match but I tried to keep it as original looking as possible. I have tons of photos of the work that has been done here on the forum and on my website www.my72vette.com

It's been a Georgia car all it's life and has no rust issues. The AC does not work but all the parts are there. Only real issue is when down shifting into 2nd or 1st it needs to be double clutched. I'm guessing it a synchronizer issue I just haven't dropped the transmission to take care of it yet.

The paint looks better in the photos than in-person originally pewter silver. Here are a few photos I'll keep updating this post with additional photos and history of work I have done.

Reason for selling....
We are going to bid on a farm and if we are the high bidders the Corvette will have to go....I'll need a tractor and other items to take care of the farm.

Thank You
Brian Wheeler

Wee is online now Report Post
Old 03-21-2022, 08:25 AM
69L88
Drifting

Received 558 Likes on 381 Posts

DefaultOn the surface, appears to be a nice car. Below the surface, you’ll need to address the condition of the frame and the birdcage (for rust). Additionally, has the car ever been hit? If so, have the repairs been properly done?

Fixing the A/C, rebuilding the transmission, etc. are not deal breakers for most who have the capability to work on the car. On the other hand, a badly rotted birdcage, a cobbled up repair of the front surround, a bent frame, etc. will severely diminish the cars value.

69L88 is offline Report Post
Old 03-21-2022, 08:46 AM
Wee
Drifting

DefaultThe frame and birdcage are solid…. I’ll post some photos of the problem areas at lunch today.

Brian
Old 03-21-2022, 11:10 AM
SEVNT6
Safety Car

Received 881 Likes on 384 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

DefaultEven though it's a NOM car this might give you an idea..

Hagerty values a '72 L48 Coupe in #2 excellent condition at $38,700.
A #3 good at $22,500.
SEVNT6 is offline Report Post
Old 03-21-2022, 12:01 PM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 962 Likes on 546 Posts

DefaultQuote:
Originally Posted by Wee View Post
The frame and birdcage are solid…. I’ll post some photos of the problem areas at lunch today.

Brian
Hard to give you a price but I think it would attract a lot of buyers. Black/Black 4 speed coupe has a nice appeal. Just curious, was the trailer hitch on the car when you bought it?
71 Green 454 is online now Report Post
Old 03-21-2022, 12:16 PM
Wee
Drifting

DefaultNo trailer hitch.....? Not sure what you are seeing.

Here are some photos of the #2 body mounts behind the kick panels before they were cleaned, and a few after I cleaned the area up and painted it.

Old 03-21-2022, 12:25 PM
210ken
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 116 Posts

DefaultUsed to have a trailer hitch attached per the four holes drilled under the rear bumpers.
210ken is offline Report Post
Old 03-21-2022, 12:31 PM
Jebbysan
The Covid Kid
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,572 Likes on 1,771 Posts

DefaultMid to Upper 20's is a solid number for this.......
Nice car....

Jebby
Jebbysan is offline Report Post
Old 03-21-2022, 12:35 PM
Wee
Drifting

DefaultHere are some photos on the birdcage after I removed the interior trim....These show some surface rust but you can see the screw holes still have the full threads so the metal is solid. There is one small hole on the drivers side A-pillar. I removed the surface rust and painted this area same as the #2 body mount areas.

Here is an under dash photo from when I replaced the speakers....That's glue not rust on the left hand side.

Old 03-21-2022, 12:51 PM
Wee
Drifting

DefaultQuote:
Originally Posted by 210ken View Post
Used to have a trailer hitch attached per the four holes drilled under the rear bumpers.
Learn something new every day.....I have no idea if these bumpers are even original to this car. I had a very nice conversation with the 2nd owner who owned it for about 40 years and put about 90% of the miles on it and he never mentioned it having a hitch....? Per the condition of the rear bumpers I assume they have been rechromed or replaced with some that have.

Someone asked about an accidentals.....As far as I know it's never been wrecked and all the body panels are original, the front fenders have the notches in the lip of the fender wells. That said the the drivers front fender does have a small crack right at the bumper. I will take a photo of that area and post tonight.

Feel free to ask any other questions....The farm auction is scheduled for April 2nd and closing will be within 30 days so if I decide to sale it May 1st would be the date. Anyone in the North Georgia area that wants to see it ahead of time just drop me an email or PM and we can set up a time.

BrianLast edited by Wee; 03-21-2022 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-21-2022, 12:55 PM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 962 Likes on 546 Posts

DefaultQuote:
Thinking about selling my 1972 4spd 350 coupe. Numbers do not match but I tried to keep it as original looking as possible. I have tons of photos of the work that has been done here on the forum and on my website www.my72vette.com

It's been a Georgia car all it's life and has no rust issues. The AC does not work but all the parts are there. Only real issue is when down shifting into 2nd or 1st it needs to be double clutched. I'm guessing it a synchronizer issue I just haven't dropped the transmission to take care of it yet.

The paint looks better in the photos than in-person originally pewter silver. Here are a few photos I'll keep updating this post with additional photos and history of work I have done.

Quote:
No trailer hitch.....? Not sure what you are seeing.
Well if anyone asks about the holes drilled under the rear bumpers, it was for a bumper mounted trailer hitch. I have one in my attic.
71 Green 454 is online now Report Post
Old 03-21-2022, 01:00 PM
Wee
Drifting

DefaultHere are some photos of the rear kick-up areas and the trailing arms which have been rebuilt. Deferential was also dropped and a new front seal installed. New snubber bushing installed as well.

Old 03-21-2022, 01:32 PM
Tiger Joe
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts
Defaulti think this is a 20k car. i think to get close to 30k there are several issues holding you back.

1- non op AC
2- needs tranny rebuilt
3- you said paint is worst than pics
4- it has rust.

#4 is the big one. non working items are always going to scare away buyers, but you showed a pic and there is rust in the windshield. who knows what else is hidden where you cant see it.
Tiger Joe is offline Report Post
Old 03-21-2022, 03:12 PM
Wee
Drifting

DefaultI’m definitely not trying to hide anything and I understand some may see that small hole and wonder if the whole birdcage is shot. After showing these and other related photos to (2) different well known former members here and based on their advice, I decided it wasn’t an issue for me so I didn’t pull the windshield to investigate further.

Brian
Old 03-21-2022, 06:21 PM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,532 Likes on 1,293 Posts

DefaultNice looking car Brian.
You've asked for opinions and they are worth exactly what you pay for them, so I'm happy to offer mine as well.
While the car has some issues, I think there is much here to like. This is a good candidate for any of the "hands on" owners here who like to do their own work. It looks like plenty of work has been done underneath and that is always a good sign to me. Too many cars are shiny on top but running around with 50 year old suspension parts. It's labor intensive work and very costly if one is paying a shop to do it, so many owners just ignore it and hope for the best. Clearly not the case here.
The trailing arm pockets are a known trouble spot but these are nice and clean, the cage mount photos are very clean and solid as well. The before and after pics are candidly honest. The frame pictures show extremely well too. Underneath looks clean enough to have been from a western state.
The windshield frame pics are brutally honest as well. Almost every windshield frame I've seen (and that's a lot) show some surface rust as the paint in this area was spotty at best. This one is fairly typical. The small hole at the bottom of the driver's A pillar does not look life threatening to me. I have replaced the windshield frames on a few cars over the years as well as doing some spot weld repairs on the ones with slight damage like this one. I think this car does not warrant that much of a repair, a small spot weld and then POR-15 would solve this issue.
Transmission overhaul will run about $800 in parts, because once you're in there it would be crazy to do just that one synchro. If you're comfortable inside an M-20 or M-21 and the labor is your own, no big deal. If you're paying a shop to do it, they'll probably eat up a thousand dollars. Still not really going to break the bank.
A complete A/C overhaul is generally what these cars need to get them functioning properly. I promise you they NEVER "just need a recharge". Once properly overhauled they work very well, even with R-134. You can expect to spend $1,000-$1,500 to do the complete job properly.
The biggest issue I see is paint and the car clearly needs a new paint job. As it's not a numbers match car and the color has already been changed, this takes a little pressure off of having to keep this one "correct". As forum member "71 Green 454" mentioned above, what's not to like about Black/Black 4 speed coupe? I'd respray it black if it were mine.
So, all this blathering and still no number.....
I think the best way to determine a good number for this car is to decide it's value if all the above work were already done and the car was front line ready. And just because it's no longer a numbers car doesn't really mean it's value is diminished. It just won't be considered by buyers who feel that criteria is important, but many do not care. The C3 market is very strong right now with some cars bringing unprecedented numbers.
I think a fair number for freshly painted small block 4 speed coupe, with every single button, switch and option working as designed and all suspension/brakes rebuilt would be somewhere in the low to mid 30's today. So let's say an asking price of $32K just for argument's sake. Now simply deduct the cost of the needed repairs and paint from that figure and you'll have a fair market price for this car (I am not going to get involved in a spiraling debate about paint costs in anyone's geographical area).
I think Jebby was close with his mid 20's estimate. I see time is of the essence for you so again, if the car were mine, in it's current condition, I would price it at $25K and be willing to negotiate.
Good luck with the farm purchase.
Cheers, Greg

Greg is offline Report Post
The following 6 users liked this post by Greg:
71 Green 454 (03-22-2022), Hopper12 (03-23-2022), leigh1322 (03-22-2022), Mr D. (03-23-2022), Scouts out (03-21-2022), and 1 others liked this post.
Old 03-21-2022, 07:08 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 497 Likes on 356 Posts
DefaultI personally would not want a numbers matching car, because I like to MODIFY! I'd buy it if I was in the market.

Richard Daugird is online now Report Post
Old 03-21-2022, 08:28 PM
Wee
Drifting

DefaultGreg…. Thank you for the detailed post, I have it covered with $25,000 agreed value insurance now.

Here is the photo of the crack I mentioned earlier.

BrianLast edited by Wee; 03-21-2022 at 09:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Greg (03-22-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 06:38 AM
Wee
Drifting

DefaultFor those that like originality (like me) I did make two decisions to veer away from that....Seat belts and chambered exhaust. I went the route of shoulder belts from a 90's F-body. They work well and 95% of folks would think they are original to the car. I went ahead and installed reflectix while I was at it, the parking brake trim has been fixed since these photos were taken.

Chambered exhaust sounds good....I wrapped it under the floor boards to help with heat when I installed it.

Old 03-23-2022, 08:01 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 948 Likes on 674 Posts

DefaultWithout rehashing everything here I'm in the $20K camp, list it for $25K and try to get all you can get.
Mr D. is offline Report Post
Old 03-23-2022, 09:29 AM
BarryB72
Drifting

Received 250 Likes on 197 Posts
DefaultNot sure if prices have gone up since I sold
mine but the other corvette price guide, Corvette DNA app, always made me think my car was worth 22275. A dealer offered me 25 and I took home a check that day. They listed is for 34995 and sold it in a few weeks.

My car was 350 4 speed, leather, tilt, PS.

Complete frame off, nut and bolt, even screws. I'll never be to afford a car that nice again type of car.

I maybe undervalued it because of the frame was from a 74.

You can ask what you want but if people are telling you to ask 25 I wish they had their check books out when I was asking 30 and heard crickets.
BarryB72 is offline Report Post
Old 03-23-2022, 09:55 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 948 Likes on 674 Posts

DefaultCorvette price guides, Corvette DNA app (whatever that is), Hagerty etc. should be for entertainment only when putting value on a vintage Corvette. Oh and those TV shows with ballers biding are just as stupid to use as a yardstick. Good old fasion research via the internet will get you to a ballpark number and after that the final worth is what someone is willing to pay.

It really comes down to what the buyer is willing to pay and what the seller is willing to take, in the middle of that number is the actual value of the car.
Mr D. is offline Report Post
The following users liked this post:
Greg (03-23-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 10:01 AM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 1,530 Likes on 768 Posts
DefaultWee, that is a really nice car. Great bones and a lot of work done on it. Rust? That isn't rust for a C3 - that's patina. Solid frame. I agree with Greg, Jebby, others - mid 20's as she sits in today's market and if someone comes close........

Anyone who knows these cars will realize that there has been a ton of work done where it doesn't show (below the belt). You've taken the opposite tact from many - - many put lipstick on the exterior and it's a pig mechanically. Not yours. Numbers matching? As stated, it matters to some but I believe that's a minority. This said, are there some steps you can take to correct some of the paint issues without spending $$? If not, I wouldn't worry about that either. Nice car. If you decide not to sell, you have a great foundation to enjoy. Best, Paul
Hopper12 is offline Report Post
The following 2 users liked this post by Hopper12:
71 Green 454 (03-23-2022), Greg (03-23-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 04:30 PM
68hemi
Le Mans Master

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,578 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

DefaultQuote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Joe View Post
i think this is a 20k car. i think to get close to 30k there are several issues holding you back.

1- non op AC
2- needs tranny rebuilt
3- you said paint is worst than pics
4- it has rust.

#4 is the big one. non working items are always going to scare away buyers, but you showed a pic and there is rust in the windshield. who knows what else is hidden where you cant see it.
Considering the items above and the picture of the crack and paint condition I think this is a number 4 car and is worth MAYBE $18k. The trans rebuild will be at least $1k the A/C could be as little as $500. or as much as $2k we all know what paint and body work cost and then there is the rust issue. Even buying this car at $18k a new buyer will be under water quickly and be without a car to drive for who knows how long considering paint jail. Sorry but that is what I see.
68hemi is offline Report Post
Old 03-23-2022, 07:53 PM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,532 Likes on 1,293 Posts

DefaultJust sayin'....

Greg is offline Report Post
Old 03-23-2022, 09:36 PM
Wee
Drifting

DefaultLooks like I'll be keep it...Online bidding for the farm place has already exceeded what I'm comfortable spending. To be honest I had lost interest in working on the corvette....But going through all the old post on my website and think about how far I have came with it has given me a second wind to keep going. Time to finish the underside and maybe drop the transmission to get it fixed. It will never be re-painted as long as it belongs to me, I'm happy enough with the condition and I don't freak out at car shows when someone gets too close.

I really appreciate all the opinions and advice.

Brian
The following 6 users liked this post by Wee:
71 Green 454 (03-23-2022), Flivver61 (03-24-2022), Greg (03-23-2022), Hopper12 (03-24-2022), Mr D. (03-24-2022), and 1 others liked this post.
Old 03-24-2022, 11:02 AM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 1,530 Likes on 768 Posts
DefaultHi Brian, sorry about the farm. But..........keeping your vette and a renewed enthusiasm will be very enjoyable. And Frustrating. But mostly enjoyable. Keep us up to date with your progress and what you decide to do. If you want to do a bit of work on the paint without getting into big $ or the paranoia that comes with a fresh paint job, you might consider a light cut/buff. You have a very nice car, enjoy! Best, Paul

Source...
RSS Feed is offline   Reply With Quote