• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

new ramps, finished first oil change and coolant flush

know its not much, but got the first one under my belt yesterday. a bit different then the f-body. picked up some rhino ramps ($50) however i think they are too steep. i didnt have anyone with me to watch, but when i lined them up it looked like i was going to scrape. car rides at factory height. it was getting late last night and i had run out of sunlight a while earlier when i was doing the coolant flush. i used a flushing agent (i didnt recognize any of the 2 they had so i just went with the more expensive one) drained, filled, ran with heater for 10-15 minutes. let it sit for a little while then drained it. then i filled it back up with dexcool, filtered water, and water wetter. it was late and i had to be at work this morning. i now have a nagging feeling that i should have flushed it at least one more time with just water. what are your all feelings about this. C5 '00. 83k. ive got all the service records from previous owner and it was never done before. ive heard that dexcool will last 100k. but i figured it was time to do it anyways.
couldnt have done it all with out calling a friend of mine and asking some dumb questions, but i wanted to make sure everything was done right. thanks again greg.

Sounds like you did everything OK. When I changed my T/S to a 160 I changed my coolant then, I ran 2 cycles of water thru the system before I put it all back together and put in my coolant mix. I did a 60/40 coolant mix in mine, not that I think it makes much real difference, I just felt better afterwards.

Joe B.

ill have to flush is with water a few times this weekend and put in some new dex-cool & water wetter. i dont want remnant flush chemicals running threw the coolant system. wish i had done it right the first time. but i finished around 10.30 at night and had to be at work in the morning.

hey, my front looks good with your rear.sorry, couldnt resist.
also doesnt hurt the orange z in the background.
that car was beautiful. glad i got to see it in person. i was wondering
who was getting the lsx block. good times, i wish i could have stuck around
longer but i had so much work to do. as was i didnt finish until late.

I'm curious. How do you guys dispose of the old oil when you do your own oil changes? A couple of years ago I was trying to get rid of some old gasoline I had stored for a year or more when I had manual backup generators. I called EVERYONE in Wakulla county and everyone acted like I was the first person in the world to come up with the idea of disposing of toxic materials responsibly. I never did get an answer about where to take that stuff. So I had to finally take it out into the clearing on my land and burn the stuff in a metal can.

I doubt things have improved here. They have a YEARLY toxic waste cleanup day where residents can take their toxic materials to be disposed of. Notice I said YEARLY. So obviously this is not an ongoing concern around here.

Maybe it is better in your localities, or maybe I'm just missing something obvious...... :shrug01:

chris308 said:
i take mine to qwiklube places or jiffy lube, they dont mind disposing of it for me.

OK, but what do I tell them when they ask why I just don't let them do the oil change? :hehehe:

i bring it back to the automotive store. pep boys, advanced, etc. they have a big tank in there store that you dump it in. ive been doing it for the last 7 years now. someone told me just the other day that they are supposed to give you store credit or something. im about to do it right now and will keep everyone posted.

ClockworkC5 said:
know its not much, but got the first one under my belt yesterday. a bit different then the f-body. picked up some rhino ramps ($50) however i think they are too steep. i didnt have anyone with me to watch, but when i lined them up it looked like i was going to scrape. car rides at factory height. it was getting late last night and i had run out of sunlight a while earlier when i was doing the coolant flush. i used a flushing agent (i didnt recognize any of the 2 they had so i just went with the more expensive one) drained, filled, ran with heater for 10-15 minutes. let it sit for a little while then drained it. then i filled it back up with dexcool, filtered water, and water wetter. it was late and i had to be at work this morning. i now have a nagging feeling that i should have flushed it at least one more time with just water. what are your all feelings about this. C5 '00. 83k. ive got all the service records from previous owner and it was never done before. ive heard that dexcool will last 100k. but i figured it was time to do it anyways.
couldnt have done it all with out calling a friend of mine and asking some dumb questions, but i wanted to make sure everything was done right. thanks again greg.
2000 white C5 (pix coming sometime)Good job,Just wondering when those pictures are coming?:lmao: :pics:

someone decided they needed my digital cam more then i did at a party i threw a little while ago. i was actually just up at best buy pricing out a new one. i know pathetic, ive had the car for 5 months now and the only pix i have are courtesy of one ms. anti-venom. nice pictures though.

ClockworkC5 said:
someone decided they needed my digital cam more then i did at a party i threw a little while ago. i was actually just up at best buy pricing out a new one. i know pathetic, ive had the car for 5 months now and the only pix i have are courtesy of one ms. anti-venom. nice pictures though.
It is a sweet looking ride,Get some pictures soon,We all just love pictures.What did you get done there?

i was out picking up stuff i needed to work on my ride with and stopped by. always something going on and wanted to meet some new people. i do the work on my car myself. i enjoy it (and cant afford to have it worked on). next ill put on the hud and eventually ill throw some lts on it. before that though i plan on painting the calipers and center of the rotors. recovering financially from leaving one job and going to another.

Well my ramps and wheel chocks showed up today. Man, that box is HUGE! I don't have a clue where I am going to store those things. :ack2: I'm waiting for Connie to bring that question up.... :dueling:

ClockworkC5 said:
i can store them in my garage for you. can use them whenever youd like

Wow! Great idea! But I guess that means I have to know about 5 hours ahead of time when I need to use them so you can bring them up to me. Will that be a problem for you? :hehehe:

Auto Zone, Pep boys, Napa, your stores like that will dispose of your oil for free. I use auto zone.:thumbsup: :crazy03:

sounds good. anything for you rich. i was planning on flushing the system again this weekend. however weve got a family emergency in new england and i will be gone fri-late sun. is there anything i should be concerned about leaving the coolant with possibly some flushing agent in it?

Back