The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 08-28-2022, 05:15 PM   #1
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road
Default 2008 C6

May get a 2008 C6 3LT with 62k miles. Anything to worry about with a car this age? All stock and not sure about parts these days if something needs fixing. Unreal how much prices have gone up on these cars.
CHASZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2022, 09:24 PM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Heck, buying a used car, no matter the make or model, will always be a crap shoot. Manufacturers, as best I understand it, are only obligated to keep a stock of repair parts for 10 years. With all the electronics in vehicles these days, it's not like any shade tree mechanic can fix all of the problems that can show up. And lord only knows I don't have much faith in ANY so called "vette techs" out there that I have had contacts with.

You may want to research some of the electronics parts for that year and model and just do a quick search to see if they are still readily available. Things like the BCM and ECM, for instance. But even minor things like door lock modules and the numerous engine sensors will eventually get hard to find.

These same thoughts run through my mind with my C5Z. I guess there are things on that which could break that I would not be able to find a replacement for.

So if you can, get at least some sort of minimum warranty on it, just in case. If they are selling it "as is" you will just have to take your chances. At the very least, have it checked out by someone who can view the history codes to see if it is flagging any errors. From what I understand, you can't just view codes through the DIC like you could with the C5s. So you need a reader, or someone who has one.

Plus it would be worthwhile getting any used vehicle up on a lift to have someone competent to check it out for obvious things like fluid leaks and stuff. And something like rodent damage to wires in a vehicle being parked outside could cause you uncountable headaches.

Sorry, but damn I sound negative lately......

Wish you luck.....
Unread 08-29-2022, 06:44 AM   #3
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

Main reason i never had cars over 7 years old. After the lemon law on my 2019 C7 i would never trust a C7 with a A8 trans as GM never did get them right.

Had two C6's before and both were fine. I mean to say the car has 52k miles not 62. There is another 08 C6 with 8k miles for $34k. But it is yellow with two tops. C8's are just way too much at this time. All car prices are crazy now.
Unread 08-29-2022, 11:02 PM   #4
Rich Z

I guess with all the crazy talk about trying to force us poor peons into having only electric cars to putter around town in while the "elite" high and mighty flit around the world in their private jets will have people scrambling for "collectible" gas powered cars sooner or later.
Unread 08-30-2022, 07:33 PM   #5
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

I got the car Mon. All seems fine for now. Factory tune sucks so i will get it tuned. Not sure on headers yet with all the EPA stuff going on the state my go back to sniffer test on cars again.
Unread 08-30-2022, 09:11 PM   #6
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Good for you! Post some pictures.
Unread 08-30-2022, 09:15 PM   #7
85vette

Name :

Imagine a non internal combustion powered vehicle that was so beneficial both to man and to the environment that organized propaganda wasn't required to convince people, laws weren't passed to force people, and the companies could reap an honest profit from the value of their product without tax based subsidies.
Keep imagining. That's as far as you'll get.

I saw this response to someone pushing for electric cars on social media. This is the most truthful response I've seen. Our world isn't ready for electric cars yet. Don't know if we ever will be.....
Unread 08-31-2022, 12:36 AM   #8
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
Good for you! Post some pictures.
Yeah! Let's see some pics!
Unread 08-31-2022, 12:48 AM   #9
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
Imagine a non internal combustion powered vehicle that was so beneficial both to man and to the environment that organized propaganda wasn't required to convince people, laws weren't passed to force people, and the companies could reap an honest profit from the value of their product without tax based subsidies.
Keep imagining. That's as far as you'll get.

I saw this response to someone pushing for electric cars on social media. This is the most truthful response I've seen. Our world isn't ready for electric cars yet. Don't know if we ever will be.....
Electric powered vehicles completely ignore the reality of the problem they are supposed to solve. The increased demand on electricity will require more electricity generating power plants. What will they run on? If anyone thinks that solar and wind power generation can take up the slack, they just are not researching those technologies enough.

Then we have the problem of all those end of life battery packs and what to do with them. Are they biodegradable or recyclable? What about the manufacturing facilities to make the batteries? What are they going to be powered by? What about the raw materials needed for making the batteries? What will the dramatic increase in that demand do to the environment?

And just wait for the day that the first driver and all passengers get electrocuted by their car during an accident. Will be interesting to see what sort of liability disclaimers buyers will have to sign.

Surely the technology exists to run an internal combustion engine off of the products created during electrolysis of water: oxygen and hydrogen. If the greenies are looking for really green technology, it don't get much greener than that!
Unread 08-31-2022, 06:28 AM   #10
85vette

Name :

https://www.cummins.com/news/release...ngine-act-expo

Internal combustion engines have come a long way since the 70’s. Especially the diesels! Heck, if you didn’t know my F350 was a diesel you couldn’t tell as quiet as it is. And with the emission system you can’t even smell any diesel from the exhaust. Even the big Peterbilt we drive has no exhaust smell. And obviously it’s working. When I was stationed in California in the 70’s the air was yellow with smog. The air out there is MUCH cleaner today.