The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > On The Road in Florida

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

On The Road in Florida Cruising | Scenic Routes | Speed Traps | Cool Places To Visit | Interesting Experiences in Florida

Unread 10-18-2010, 06:33 AM   #1
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough
Default Dinner with Harry Connick, Jr.

Well, not exactly "with" him, but right across the aisle

We took the granddaughter to Caldesi Island last weekend, then for dinner, decided to hit Frenchy's Rockaway Grill, on the Beach in Clearwater.

http://www.frenchysonline.com/rock_index.html

The place was packed as usual, with about a 30-40 minute wait, so we're hanging outside when I look over at a group of about 10 (+/-) people standing right in front of us.

I see this guy standing there in a pair of raggedy cargo pants, a non-descript T shirt, baseball cap (New Orleans Saints I might add) and sandals.

I mention to the wife how he could be a double for Harry Connick, Jr. She say's yeah, I kinda see the resemblance...and we continue to sit.

A short time later, a young man joins the crowd, is introduced to the guy in the cargo pants, shakes his hand and thanks him for what he did for the victims of Katrina (that did it right there! He did a benefit concert for them right after the event!)

Anyway, he was very humble about it, very polite and very quiet.

He then asked if everyone were present, and quietly excused himself.

He returned a few minutes later and again, very quietly and humble stated "we can go in now," and the group dissappeared into the crowd.

We were seated about 20 minutes later, and of course I'm looking for the group.
By luck we were seated directly across the aisle from them.

They appeared to be family and friends, no "body guards" and hollwood crap, and they were having a birthday party for what I guess was his son?

They were very well mannered, everyone was polite and friendly, and although the restaurant can get a bit loud, his group was very well behaved.
Fortunately, the rest of the restaurant had the courtesy to leave them alone while they ate and celebrated.

They sang 2 choruses of "Happy Birthday" to the young man, and Harry requested that everyone in the restaurant to join in

After dinner, the wait staff came up and he very graciously took pictures with them, shook hands, and thanked them for thier service.

A few other people came up to him also and he took the time to, again very graciously, have photos with them and talk with them like they were old friends and family.
Hugs and handshakes abounded.

Finally, on his way out, of course cameras were going off all over the restaurant, and I saw him ducking down.
At first, it appeared as though he were "hiding" from the cameras?
This seemed a bit out of place considering what I'd just witnesses, so I continued to watch.

A few moments later, as he entered a small clearing in the crowd, I realized why....he was bent waayyyy over (he's tall), with his arm around a little girl probably 5-6 at the most, talking with her as they walked

To say this deeply moved me, would be an understatement.

Now I'm not a "star struck" individual, couldn't tell you one of his tunes to save my butt, and am not easily impressed by hollywood style fame and most sports figures.

I've seen Mr. Connick perform on TV several times, and last season on American Idol as a guest coach.
He's always "seemed" to be a very down to earth person, greated each contestant with what "appeared" to be, an honest hug, handshake, and pat on the back, and always gave words of encouragement, giving them sound advise, without being arrogant or condescending.
He seemed very mild mannered and thoughtful...But you never really know until you see someone in action off the set, when the cameras are off.

In this case, he lived up to his persona.

He was gracious with everyone he interacted with, quiet, funny, polite, took time with kids and strangers and if you didn't know who he was, you'd have never have guessed he wasn't some local.

With all the piss poor role models out here in todays music, movie and sports world, Mr. Connick truly impressed me!!
He renewed my faith that there really are some good people left in the world of "fame."

I thought about going over to him, and in hindsight, I probably should have taken my granddaughter over to him.
But out of courtesy, I didn't.

I did try to get a few shots with my EVO, I'll try to get them downloaded later today.

BTW-If you've never been to one of the Frenchy's grills (there are several)
http://www.frenchysonline.com/index.html
you have no idea what you're missing.

The Rockaway on Clearwater Beach is a great place to visit for lunch, dinner or just about anytime you want to kick back, relax, enjoy a drink, some good food and excellent scenery!

It's reasonably priced, has great live bands with local artists, and a fantastic sunset.

And you never know who you might show up?

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2010, 09:14 AM   #2
fletcher4u

Name : Bob Fletcher
fletcher4u has disabled reputation

Sounds like you had a good time. My little bro does stage lighting and has met him says he is a real nice guy.
fletcher4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
Shadow

Name :

Very cool.
He certainly seems that way

Was pretty refreshing to see someone that famous, jsut being a "normal" person.

Remember:

Unread 11-11-2010, 06:11 PM   #4
Bob K
Deceased

Name : Bob Korreck
Bob K has disabled reputation

So I'm standing in the food line at the airport in New Orleans. My brother had a flight going out so he got a table and I got the coffee. Some guy in line starts talking to me and says he's with Lawrence Welk. I didn't see Mr. Welk so the guy pointed him out and sure enough there he was. I told the guy to give him my regards and to tell him I had the same birth date, but 40 yrs younger. The guy told me to tell him myself but like you I did not want to bother him.

I got the coffee and sat down with my brother and pointed out Mr. Welk to him. As we're sitting there, I decided to go introduce myself and let him know how much he was appreciated. Mr. Welk insisted that I sit down so I did and we had a short conversation. He told me if he ever had a concert in my vicinity to let him know and he would have me on stage as his 40 year younger twin. Sadly it never happened.

Just to let you know about another great star that was extremely nice. RIP Mr. Welk and we'll meet again.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2010, 11:14 PM   #5
Shadow

Name :

That's awesome Bob

It's nice to know there really are stars that haven't let stardom go to thier heads

Remember: