The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Performance Tuning

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Performance Tuning Beginner and advanced tuning | Tools of the trade

Unread 12-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default EFILive tuning....

Been looking through this tuning problem lately, figuring it's time for me to dive into this aspect of my car. But man, it's a pretty big chunk to try to swallow. Been reading threads on their forum, but most of those guys are throwing around terms and acronyms that I don't have a clue about what they mean.

I've also been paging through the tune that Mike Carnahan did on my car and comparing those tables with a stock 2002 Z06 tune to see what sort of changes he has done. Of course, mine is a custom OS, since it is based on a 2 bar MAP sensor, but the other tables should be mostly applicable.

Probably will be quite a while before I am comfortable actually making any changes and flashing the PCM with them, however. And I need to figure out how to hook up my wide band so I can take a look at the AFR.

I did some data logging when I took the car out on Friday, and the engine RPM seems to jitter quite a bit when I'm going only 10 mph down my dirt road. The spark advance looks like a saw tooth, so that appears to be kind of unstable. So that will probably be the first thing I try to figure out.
Unread 06-17-2013, 02:50 AM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Just want to post this gem somewhere that I will be able to find it again later.

Quote:
In SD the PCM determines airmass from the VE table (VE table being speed vs density table)... it then looks up the commanded fuel (B3605, B3647, and B3618 if PE enables) and converts the commanded fuel to AFR (using B3601), and then calculates the fuelmass required by the airmass to meet the commanded fuel AFR.

The PCM computes cylinder airmass from the VE table, and it computes the fuelmass required to maintain the commanded AFR (from B3605, B3547, B3618, converted to AFR by B3601)... the AFR is not richer or leaner, but the fuelmass is the same ratio with the airmass as stated by the commanded AFR... so if the airmass is increased (via increase in VE table) then fuelmass is increased.

i.e. 3 steps:
- PCM computes cylinder airmass from B0101,
- PCM computes commanded AFR by looking up B3605, B3647, B3618 and B3601,
- PCM uses those two to compute cylinder fuelmass.