The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Classifieds and Commercial Sponsors > Board of Inquiry®

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Board of Inquiry® Got a problem with someone you had a dealing with? Can't get it resolved and no other recourse presents itself? Had an especially good transaction with someone? Looking for info on a dealer?

Unread 03-10-2008, 06:10 PM   #1
chris308
spam sniper

Name : Chris Huff
chris308 is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone replace a vert top? Refer a shop??

Thinking of replacing my "spotted" light oak top for a black one. Have heard horror stories of it being not a DIY kinda job.
Unread 03-11-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
Joe_G

Name :
Joe_G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris308 View Post
Thinking of replacing my "spotted" light oak top for a black one. Have heard horror stories of it being not a DIY kinda job.
I had the exact same problem on my C5. Dixie Tops in Fort Lauderdale did a great job for me but that's quite a drive for you.

The owner of the shop for 30 years told me that I had put on Raggtop before the top fully dried and I sealed in moisture. It made sense since I had used Raggtop every 6 months since new and the spots started from the bottom an grew up. She had another one with the exact Same problem in the shop. I told her I waited a couple of hours after washing, she told me to wait for at least a day for a cloth top to really fully dry.

I just don't use Raggtop on my c6, I just wash the top with the car and its been like new for 3 years now.
Joe_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2008, 10:42 PM   #3
chris308
spam sniper

Name : Chris Huff
chris308 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply Joe. Yea i have been mis-using raggtop as well it seems...

Lauderdale is a little too far for me guess i'll just start making call around town and see who has dealt with vette tops before.

Btw,
Unread 03-12-2008, 01:09 PM   #4
shakedown067
Sinister C4

Name : Eric G
shakedown067 is on a distinguished road

Give wheels to wings a call. Dave is in pinellas park on 62nd Ave and does great upholstery work. 727-526-0893. Not sure if he can redo tops, but if he can't, he'll know the shop to take it to in the area.
shakedown067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2008, 11:06 PM   #5
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

We have a black cloth top that we have applied "raggtop" to a couple of times in as many years. After reading about it trapping in moisture I may give it up as well. I usually wait until the next day or so to apply it after I wash the car, but there is a lot of humidity here, easy to trap moisture in the fabric.

Confused....
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2008, 08:17 AM   #6
vette653

Name :
vette653 is on a distinguished road

I'm in the process of putting a new top on my 86, know that's different from a C5 but still the same type of job. I have a video from Al knoch interiors I've been following and so far not too bad the old top is off and I just received the new yesterday..so here goes. I hope to install it this weekend time permitting so I'll let you know how it comes out.
vette653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2008, 10:14 AM   #7
72ragtop

Name :
72ragtop is on a distinguished road

when i asked a local vette restoring company in sarasota about doing the top on my 72, they said the send them out to a company called
Kellys Sarasota convertible tops and more. Went by and they had a bunch of newer exotics there. sorry but didnt take a business card
72ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote