The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 12-10-2006, 04:25 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default STS twin turbos - status on 12/11/06

Well, it's been nearly two months since Greg at AntiVenom installed the STS twin turbos on my Z, so I guess it is time to make some observations thus far.

All in all I am pleased with what I have gotten. The car pretty much drives like the regular Z06 it was before the install, which isn't really shabby at all. I was afraid of having that weight affect day to day handling, but such is not the case at all. One benefit the STS kit had over nearly all the other super/turbo charger setups is that the weight is pretty evenly distributed over the entire car. Most others have everything up front, which puts about 80 pounds or more right over the front tires. I really wasn't too keen on that situation at all.

One problem I read about with some of the other power adders was that they made first and second gear often just about useless as it was difficult to keep traction. Well I guess to some that might seem like a GOOD thing, but it did seem to me to be a lot of wasted power. The STS kit doesn't seem to add much until after about 4K rpms and in first and second gear, you really aren't in that zone too long before you are bumping against the rev limiter. Third gears seems to be where the turbos REALLY shine, coming on like a freight train when they spool up. Fourth gear also benefits greatly from the turbos. Both are where you tend to be in highway speeds and it makes passing a vehicle a genuinely awesome rush. First couple of times it will likely startle you quite a bit and you will find yourself holding onto the steering wheel as you get thrown back into your seat.

Fun stuff!!

The noise inside the car is still louder than I like, but I guess I am getting somewhat used to it. Still, if I had my choice, I would rather it be less than it is, especially in that 1800 to 2200 rpm range where it can rattle your teeth.

Outside the car it definitely commands attention when you drive by. Fortunately I haven't gotten any unwanted attention from the law yet, so maybe it isn't all that abusive to the environment.

Now the one main thing I was worried about and initially considered it a show stopper for the STS kit was the rear mounted air intake. I live on a dirt road that can get extremely dusty. I was worried that those rear mounted air intake filters would be constantly getting clogged, requiring weekly or better maintenance on my part to keep them free breathing. When I was negotiating buying the STS kit the guy I talked to said that it really isn't a problem because the filters come with slip over sleeves that virtually repel dirt and dust. Well honestly, I thought I was being handed a line, but I decided to go for it anyway.

Well, today I pulled off the tail lights (the air filters are directly behind those lights) on the left side of the car to see about cleaning up the filters. To say I was astonished to see NO dirt or dust coating at all on those filers (specifically the slip on covers) would be a drastic understatement! Not a bit of dust was adhering to them. Yet I had had to blow off copious amounts of dust on the back of the vette after taking it out for a ride just yesterday. Absolutely amazing! That was my biggest fear and as the guy who sold me the kit said, it is NOT a problem at all.

So all in all, I am satisfied with the STS kit.

Are there better kits out there? Well depends on your criteria, I guess. Nothing is really perfect. The other kits (supercharger & turbocharger) either needed a new hood, had potential belt throwing problems, and/or contributed to copious amounts of heat being funneled under the hood (underhood turbos). Even with the superchargers, I saw many people complaining of engine overheating problems associated with the load the superchargers were putting on the engine. Plus there is the above mentioned issue of all the weight of these kits being focused solely on the front end of the car.

But your mileage may vary as to what is important to you and what sort of compromises you are willing to make. I made my choice, and with everything considered, including newer turbo kits now available, I have to think I would make that same choice that I did for the STS.

IMHO....
Unread 12-10-2006, 05:50 PM   #2
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a good system! What was the total cost of the STS kit with install?

Chas
CHASZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2006, 06:14 PM   #3
Rich Z

Well, let's see...

Got the system itself for a real deal at $6,000.

Optional 4 tip tail pipes were a couple of hundred (don't remember exact price).

Had to get a reinforced airbridge (which I believe is now included with the kit) for around $300.

AntiVenom install (with gauges and pod) and dyno tune was around $2,400.

So figure on roughly $8,900 or so.
Unread 12-10-2006, 07:06 PM   #4
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road

That's a good price! I was thinking $11,000+.
CHASZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2006, 03:26 PM   #5
Anti Venom
Wrencher

Name :
Anti Venom is on a distinguished road

We are pleased to hear that you are happy with the twins! Sure is tough to take a leap of faith like that, making a decision based upon only what others tell you (which can be quite opinionated). Well; Rich, if you should decide that it is a little too loud for you, we can install mufflers ahead of the turbos. At your power level, I don't believe that it would effect horsepower much if at all. If you are wondering what I might be talking about, look at the Magnaflow. There is one of their setups that place the mufflers ahead of the transmission.
Unread 12-11-2006, 03:45 PM   #6
Rich Z

Thanks Greg. Maybe I should get a horn installed like you have so I could drown out the exhaust noise........

Actually seriously, I think Connie would like a horn like that in her Silverado. How much would that cost?
Unread 12-11-2006, 04:03 PM   #7
Anti Venom
Wrencher

Name :

Those train horns start at $550.00 installed and go up to 1650 installed. The expensive one is called the Freightliner's Conductor special. I don't know how I got involved with these darn train horns, but they sure are fun. (DISCLAIMER) watch out for people with heart conditions!
Unread 12-11-2006, 04:08 PM   #8
Rich Z

Are they electric or do that have a compressor for forced air?
Unread 12-11-2006, 04:11 PM   #9
Anti Venom
Wrencher

Name :

They have an electric compressor and an air tank. The larger the tank, the longer you can blast that horn. If we give her a large enough tank, she can blast out at least half of someones "BOOM BOOM" song sitting next to her in traffic.
Unread 12-11-2006, 04:50 PM   #10
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Venom
They have an electric compressor and an air tank. The larger the tank, the longer you can blast that horn. If we give her a large enough tank, she can blast out at least half of someones "BOOM BOOM" song sitting next to her in traffic.
Now that would be Way FUN!!!