The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 09-30-2007, 12:59 PM   #1
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road
Default Power steering conversion

I am considering converting my manual steering BB 72 to power steering. I want to retain the original (Chevy) looks and parts as opposed to going with a Steeroids set up. Paragon offers a complete set up as one would have had installed in 1972 to include all nuts, bolts, brackets, pumps ET. AL.

My question is has anyone on the forum done this install on a BB C3 from maybe 68-74? If so how much of a pain in the arse is it going to be and will I need to have a party with Joe and Rob to help me get it done?

Ken
Unread 09-30-2007, 02:04 PM   #2
Melsy

Name :
Melsy has disabled reputation

The mainline vette suppliers all sell "factory" parts kits to do the job. Order one, break out your shop manual and it go smmothly. There's reall not much to C-3 power steering.
Melsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2007, 10:23 AM   #3
Anti Venom
Wrencher

Name :
Anti Venom is on a distinguished road

Done it before. Not bad at all. Factory assembly manual is your best friend. Service manual is o.k. but nowhere near as good. Buy the best control valve and assist cylinder that you can buy. These originals leak badly. When your conversion is done, and the first time that you start the car PLEASE do not put your arm through the steering wheel spokes to turn the key!!! Had a guy come into the shop once who hooked up the control valve wrong and when he started it the steering wheel turned by itself with tremendous force and broke his arm. Once everything is tested, and working properly, you can go back to reaching through the spokes.
Unread 10-01-2007, 11:21 AM   #4
Kap142

Name :
Default OK that's good news

Your words increase my confidence. I added Ford P/S to a 53 Effie I built and personally ran into the "hoses hooked up backwards" dilemma myself. I remember it well, could have been ugly but wasn't. I was lucky.

Another Q if I might. I have no lift. Will my jack stands give me adequate clearance under the Vette to work?

It is my understanding is that it's a total bolt on. Is that correct with the install you did also?

Thanks so much for the help. I'll let you know how it goes.

Ken
Unread 10-01-2007, 11:50 AM   #5
Anti Venom
Wrencher

Name :
Anti Venom is on a distinguished road

Total bolt on?.. on the several that I did, yes. Clearance with jackstands? that is a funny question. For me, yes. The Corvette shop that I worked at years ago had no lift and we had no choice. I vowed never to be without a lift when I started my shop. But everything depends upon how flexible you are and how comfortable you are on your back. A couple of peices are really weird on the install, so be patient and all will go well.
Unread 10-01-2007, 02:11 PM   #6
Kap142

Name :

Thanks brother. As long as I have you responding two (kinda) final questions have popped up. Where do you find a true quality pump and ar any special tools required that I don't have in my tool boxes?

Thanks,

Ken
Unread 10-01-2007, 05:24 PM   #7
"Backyard Mechanic"

Name :
"Backyard Mechanic" has disabled reputation

Buddy,It's not that hard,I have done 3 in the last 15 years,all off them on bb.

The ? if you will fit under the vette,that depends what you had for breakfastBut if you do, get 3 ton jack stands if you don't have them already,there taller,piece of cardboard and a good creeper and a florescent light,they don't get that hot,,o ya,a piece of wood to put your stands on,so they don't dig into your slab.I never need any special tools,but then again I have almost every tool made,I've got tools I have never used or don't know how to useShould take about 4-5 hours.Also another trick is after all the lines are hooked up and before you install the belt and start the engine, add the power sterring fluid and then spin,by hand your power sterring pump to allow the fluid to make it's way through the system,then hook your belt,double check all connections then start her up,keep your eye's on the fluid until it's full,allow time for all the air to get out of the system.When your done you will be all smilesGood luck with the project,take photos before and after.If you need my help,you got my #.O ya,might be tight place between the power sterring pump and your headers
"Backyard Mechanic" is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2007, 04:14 AM   #8
Kap142

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Backyard Mechanic" View Post
Buddy,It's not that hard,I have done 3 in the last 15 years,all off them on bb.

The ? if you will fit under the vette,that depends what you had for breakfastBut if you do, get 3 ton jack stands if you don't have them already,there taller,piece of cardboard and a good creeper and a florescent light,they don't get that hot,,o ya,a piece of wood to put your stands on,so they don't dig into your slab.I never need any special tools,but then again I have almost every tool made,I've got tools I have never used or don't know how to useShould take about 4-5 hours.Also another trick is after all the lines are hooked up and before you install the belt and start the engine, add the power sterring fluid and then spin,by hand your power sterring pump to allow the fluid to make it's way through the system,then hook your belt,double check all connections then start her up,keep your eye's on the fluid until it's full,allow time for all the air to get out of the system.When your done you will be all smilesGood luck with the project,take photos before and after.If you need my help,you got my #.O ya,might be tight place between the power sterring pump and your headers
Very cool, exactly the information I needed. Paragon says the whole system is already in transit so I'll try to prep the swap with a removal of the manual steering on Wednesady (new system to be in on Thursday).

Will go get a set of RV jack stands on Wed too. Outta be a fun project with bootay kickin results.

I'll call ya if I get in over my head. Thanks

Ken
Unread 10-02-2007, 11:06 PM   #9
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

You have a PM.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2007, 07:43 AM   #10
"Backyard Mechanic"

Name :
"Backyard Mechanic" has disabled reputation

Well,we are all waiting to see if you have power steering yet
"Backyard Mechanic" is offline   Reply With Quote