The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Performance Tuning

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Performance Tuning Beginner and advanced tuning | Tools of the trade

Unread 12-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Wideband installed

I finally got my LC-1 wideband controller and sensor wired up and hooked up to EFILive, so I did some data logging today. Mostly just to see if I could actually see AFR data coming from the wideband, and sure enough, I'm getting SOMETHING in the logged data. The numbers look fairly reasonable to my untrained eye. But I did notice a few things odd in other displays.

One is the data being logged by my narrow band senors. I wasn't seeing any traces at all in the chart, but the reason for this was because (I'm using the Default Imperial dashboard, btw) the data being captured was in the range of 0 to 1,000, yet the chart is set up to display 0 to 1.1. Evidently the data collected is in millivolts, but the chart is set up to display in volts, and the two don't seem to know they are speaking different languages. So I am trying to figure out why the data differs so widely from what the chart wants to log. Obviously I am overlooking something simple...

It also looks like I've got an intermittent problem with my IAT (Incoming Air Temperature) reading. I took six (6) total logs while driving (figured out how to do that, yay!), and for the most part my IAT readings looking good averaging around 62 degrees. But every once in a while it went bonkers and starting pinning the needle at the top value and then fluctuating between the normal and high reading randomly. Does anyone know if a high value in that reading means a short or an open in the sensor or harness? Obviously I need to find this problem and fix it. I took the plug out of the connect and sprayed the pins and socket liberally with some electronic contact cleaner, but my luck isn't THAT good to fix it this way. But it was worth a shot, I guess. The weather is looking pretty crappy for the next few days, so I doubt I'll get a chance to take the car out for a spin to see if that changed anything. It's intermittent anyway, so you know how that can go. I may just idle the car in the garage and jiggle the IAT/MAF cable to see if that will show me anything while capturing the IAT data on the laptop.

Darn shame there isn't an easy way to convert the EFILive log display stream into an AVI or other video format that I could easily upload to YouTube to show what I am talking about with this stuff. Setting up the camcorder to capture it works, but is kind of klunky to do.