The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tips

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Maintenance, Mods, & Tips Mods | Tips | Repairs & Troubleshooting

Unread 10-09-2006, 09:10 AM   #1
Guro305
Heathen

Name :
Guro305 is on a distinguished road
Default Still a rookie please advise....

.....I'm still a rookie to my C5 so I'm uncertain of a few things, especially since I don't have a manual. Two questions I have.

One, at what percentage should you change the oil? Below 50%, 60%, etc. And secondly, since the tranny fluid is synthetic also, when do you change that sucker out? I've never dealt with a work of art like this before so I do appreciate the feedback. Thanks. =)

-C5 Chevy Corvette - Torch Red
-Gen 3 Pontiac Trans Am - Pearl Black
-B14 Nissan Sentra GXE - Pearl Black
Guro305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2006, 09:27 AM   #2
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guro305
.....I'm still a rookie to my C5 so I'm uncertain of a few things, especially since I don't have a manual. Two questions I have.

One, at what percentage should you change the oil? Below 50%, 60%, etc. And secondly, since the tranny fluid is synthetic also, when do you change that sucker out? I've never dealt with a work of art like this before so I do appreciate the feedback. Thanks. =)
The oil percentage actually goes down based on your driving habits. Most times I change mine when it gets down to about 25% or 3-4 months. Everyone is gonna be different on this. Mobil and GM say that the system will show you when to change it, usually between 3000 and 15000 miles. Mines at about 50% now, but I recently went on a 2k trip, so I'm going to do it soon.

I don't have an answer on the tranny fluid. I have changed mine out though to Amsoil. Same with the gear oil. Good stuff.

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2006, 09:40 AM   #3
Guro305
Heathen

Name :

I'm glad you mentioned Amsoil because I was just thinking about that stuff. So it's good stuff.

Unread 10-09-2006, 10:28 AM   #4
Nytro
Delta House Member

Name :
Nytro is on a distinguished road

As far as changing out the engine oil goes you will get a million different answers. I personally would rather change the oil to frequently than not frequently enough. In my Z06 I have changed the oil and filter 7 times in 9600 miles, the first time at 500, then 1000. I know, I'm nuts. In my 66 Corvette, I change the oil and filter every 1000 miles. Oils cheap. As far as the tranny fluid goes, if your car is a stick it didn't come from the factory with synthetic, most common recommendations I have read is to change it to synthetic at 7500 miles, this gives the synchros time to break in. If it's an automatic thats a different story. Supposidly the C5 has 100,000 mile fluid and filter. For an automatic trans the worst thing for it is heat. As the fluid gets older and contaminated it's ability to cool down the tranny lessons. When you check the fluid it should be a nice deep red or pink. (you probably knew that) If it is at all brown or if it smells burnt it definately needs to be changed. I personally think that it should be changed at no more than 50,000 miles along with the filter, but that recommendation is coming from a guy who changes oil as frequently as he changes his socks.

Like I said, oil is cheap and you will never do any harm by changing it frequently, only good. JMO

www.adamspolishes.com

Authority forgets a dying king
Nytro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2006, 11:03 AM   #5
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Well, maybe I am going a bit overboard, but I have the oil and filter changed in my Z every chance I get. When I check the dipstick, if the oil doesn't look exactly like it did when it was put in, I feel it's due for a change. Since I bought the car used, I have NO idea how often the original owner(s) changed the oil. But I do know it wasn't as clean as I would have liked it when I bought it. And as has been mentioned, you CAN'T change your oil TOO often.

As for the tranny fluid, well, I'm looking into that myself. I have no idea as to whether it has EVER been done on my car. So been doing some reading up about the recommendations other people have on what to use in the C5 manual transmission, and it appears the leading recommendation is Royal Purple Synchromax. So that is what I am going to go for.

Oh, one other question.... How many of you have put in one of those magnetic drain plugs in the oil pan? Been thinking about doing that when I read an account of someone having some severe problems when the oil pump got choked up on a small piece of metal in the oil.
Unread 10-09-2006, 11:13 AM   #6
Nytro
Delta House Member

Name :

Rich, I used Mobil 1 synthetic ATF when I changed my tranny fluid. To be honest I have heard good and bad about Royal Purple products, enough bad to keep me away. On the other hand I have heard many good things about Amsoil products. And for those who might ask, I have read not to use synthetic in the diff.

www.adamspolishes.com

Last edited by Nytro; 10-09-2006 at 07:08 PM.
Unread 10-09-2006, 11:22 AM   #7
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytro
Rich, I used Mobil 1 synthetic ATF when I changed my tranny fluid. To be honest I have heard good and bad about Royal Purple products, enough bad to keep me away. On the other hand I have heard many good things about Amesoil products. And for those who might ask, I have read not to use synthetic in the diff.
Got any links to the "bad" about Royal Purple? I didn't find any myself, so I would be interested to read that aspect of the matter.

Thanks.
Unread 10-09-2006, 11:40 AM   #8
Nytro
Delta House Member

Name :

Rich, here's a great link. The person named SUBDRIVER is a man named Brad Neff, he currently races, is an Amsoil distributer and he is the commander of a nuclear submarine. Very smart, experienced person.

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showt...smission+fluid

www.adamspolishes.com

Last edited by Nytro; 10-09-2006 at 07:08 PM.
Unread 10-09-2006, 11:43 AM   #9
Guro305
Heathen

Name :

Who sells those magnetic drain plugs?

Unread 10-09-2006, 11:50 AM   #10
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guro305
Who sells those magnetic drain plugs?
The most recent time I saw them was in Eckler's catalog, but I believe most anyone selling Corvette parts offers them.