The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 07-05-2021, 08:30 PM   #801
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASZ51 View Post
Not many grouper boats left as well. No money in it anymore and not many grouper left.
The state is catering to the sports fishermen these days. That's where the money is (lobbyist)
Unread 07-06-2021, 12:05 AM   #802
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
Yeah, that's disappointing for sure. The FWC and developers seem to be working together to dismantle the seafood industry in Florida. I've watched the decline since the net ban in 93. Less and less fisherman in the commercial trade than ever before. And I understand that non-commercial rules are in place if you want to use traps. The amount of money it takes to be a commercial fisherman today is prohibitive to most thinking of entering the business. One of the three necessary licenses run $10K and to get the Salt Water Products License you have to buy it from someone who's leaving the business, so that one is what the market will bear. So yeah, commercial crabbing is down, at least in your area. The crabbers sold their homes and properties to developers which seemed to be the plan all along. And to top it off they have to compete with the Chinese markets now. It's a shame for sure. It might be worth it to get a couple of your own traps and go down to Mashes Sands and spend a few hours. Just make sure you're compliant with the FWC rules. Here's an idea though. Go down to RMS Supply in Medart and ask Angie if she knows who to buy crabs from. They always sold boatloads of traps and are still probably the main source in the area. So she would likely know who to go to if Debbie and Ike are not getting what you need. Just a thought, but you can buy a trap or two there also if you're inclined to do so.
My guess is that there are probably places to crab that gets you better tasting crabs than at some other places. Probably a secret that would be hard to wrest from people in the know. Not sure I want to get involved with FWCC in any way, shape, or form. Most I have seen seem to have a chip on their shoulder.

I'll have to look up the rules for crabbing, but if it would take buying a boat, that would likely be a show stopper.

I'll have to give Ike a call sometime soon and see what he says about getting me some better crabs. It might be a case of getting them from a crabber who knows where the best crabs are found. Since it is July, the demand for them up north might be a bit less since they should be catching them local now in the Chesapeake Bay.

Quote:
Yeah, LOTS of plans for the new house! It's got such character, not often you stumble across one like it! I want to do renovations the RIGHT way. Inside and out. I plan on putting a courtyard in front of the collumned front entrance and I'm wanting to install a rock waterfall feature on the side of the house where the deck is now. I bought a nice Hooker Desk for my office/man cave. I've gotten the electrical box sorted out and redone so I can put power to a pole barn/shop and also run landscape lighting to the water feature and exterior lighting for the courtyard. My wife has plans for renovating all seven bathrooms and we will turn the downstairs bedroom into a recreation room. There's a "closet" that I'm using for all my firearms that will be getting a Murphy door so as to make it a hidden room. We're pretty excited!
Take video or at least photos of everything you do. 10 years or more from now you are going to be thinking "now how the heck did I do that?" when it comes time to modify or fix something. I wish to heck I had taken video every step of the way when our house was being built. Which is why I try to take video of everything going on around here. I took video every day with the roof being done. Both from ground level camcorder and flying the drone for airborne video after the workers left for the day.

Oh, we got 0.31" of rain today. The guys finished up our roof in the morning and I wanted to get the drone out to do an inspection and also follow up on some questions spots I saw from the last drone video. But maybe tomorrow.
Unread 07-06-2021, 12:06 AM   #803
Rich Z

Quote:
The state is catering to the sports fishermen these days. That's where the money is (lobbyist)
Yeah, that has been pretty obvious for a while now. The big contributors who are sport fishermen are what the legislators want to cater to, and to hell with the commercial concerns. But that is politics in general, it seems.
Unread 07-06-2021, 06:36 AM   #804
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road

1.50" last eve.
CHASZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2021, 12:29 PM   #805
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASZ51 View Post
1.50" last eve.
It looks like you are going to get your full allocation of rain for the year in the next couple of days.
Unread 07-06-2021, 08:39 PM   #806
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

We will see. Had .50" today. Calm as can be right now.
Unread 07-07-2021, 12:01 AM   #807
Rich Z

We had 0.15" of rain today, and honestly I'm not expecting a whole lot from this storm. Most should run east of us.
Unread 07-09-2021, 11:54 PM   #808
Rich Z

It rained most of the day today. Got 1.55" all total.
Unread 07-10-2021, 06:13 AM   #809
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :

.50" Thurs. Dry Fri.
Unread 07-13-2021, 12:48 AM   #810
Rich Z

We got a brief period of rain Monday morning with just 0.22". Just enough to keep the mosquitoes happy.