The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 02-23-2022, 02:52 PM   #1
04Lemans

Name :
04Lemans is on a distinguished road
Default Who is the best Corvette mechanic Florida?

Hello!

I have on 04 base that came with the magnetic ride suspension. During Covid I upgraded to normal shocks, mainly because the aftermarket shocks are way cheaper than the stock ones. The car handles so much better now too. With the mag rides disconnected, I get the annoying notifications about every 10-15 minutes while driving. I had someone set the limp mode top speed to 159 so I could enjoy the car. Does anyone know who could eliminate the mag ride? I have tried to talk a dealership to let me guide a mechanic through the steps, but they take a hard line against modifications.

Thanks,

Keep the shiny side up!
04Lemans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2022, 08:47 PM   #2
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

I fix I read about was a DIY sort of thing:

Quote:
I used Radio Shack 10ohm, 10 watt resistors. Cut the black wire going to the F45 shock leaving enough room to splice in the resistor. Inside the F45 wire there are 2 wires. Connect by soldering or twisty) the resistor to these wires. 1 resistor per wheel or a total of 4 10ohn, 10 watt resistors. I then wrapped plastic wrap around the resistor to waterproof then electrical tape around the wrap. Used a zip tie to secure the bundle to the nearest fixed thing, don't remember what it was. Mine have been in over a year with no probs.
Quote:
Go to Radio Shack and get the following:

4 Resistors
#271-132
10 watt 10 ohm
(The resistor is a 2 inch X 1/4 inch ceramic block with a solid silver wire on each end. Two in a pack so buy two packs.)

Underneath the car at each shock location there is a black wire running from the shock to a blue connector. The wire does not unhook at the shock but if you trace the wire you will find the connector. Disconnect the blue connector from its mate and remove the shock.

Take a pair of wire cutters and cut the wire as close to the shock as possible. You will be left with the cut wire on one end and the blue connector at the other. Remove about three inches from the black insulation to expose the two wires (black & white) that it conceals. Strip both of them back about an inch.

Insert the resistor into a rubber hose (w/the wires protruding from each end) to protect it; solder the resistor between the two bare wires (black & white) that originally went to the factory shock to complete the circuit. I used some water proof silicone to seal the solder and wrapped everything in electrical tape. Reconnect the blue connector. Tuck the package out of the way and secure with zip ties. This will fool the computer into thinking the F45 Shocks are still there (as the computer looks for its resistance). Install the replacement shock.
Or you can just try out these:

https://www.southerncarparts.com/cor...ors-p-303.html
Unread 02-24-2022, 03:09 PM   #3
04Lemans

Name :
04Lemans is on a distinguished road

Thank you! I ordered BOJACK Ceramic Cement Resistor 10W 10 ohm Resistance 5% Ceramic Wire Wound Resistors from Amazon. Should be in tomorrow. I'll let you know if these work. I'm in Chattahoochee, is there a shop nearby that does transmission replacements and can help with supercharging?
04Lemans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2022, 08:11 PM   #4
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Sorry, but my experiences with nearly every shop and "Corvette tech" around this area has been less than satisfactory. They will all sing you a nice tune, but when the pedal goes to the metal, well, pay with a credit card in case you need to dispute the charge is what I will suggest.

Heck, honestly a while back when I was looking for someone I would even have been willing to ship my car to in order to have the drive train pulled and inspected, I just could not get anyone to help, much less even respond to me. But likely not unusual, since many shops are reluctant to work on a highly customized vehicle that had other people's hands on for the build. I actually was talking at length with a local company that builds TransAms from stock Camaros. They called in a favor at a Chevy dealership in Quitman, GA and got them to work on my car for me. That didn't go exactly all that well, but better than some other experiences I had. Cost me much more than it should have, and took a LOT longer than it should have, but when you are between a rock and a hard place, you can't complain much without burning the only bridge you have available.

So is it simply a matter of Corvettes just being that problematical to find qualified techs for?

Unfortunate, but it sure seems that way to me. Unless you are sticking with a plain vanilla car that you want to KEEP plain vanilla. Which is odd, because except for that torque tube arrangement, they really don't seem to be that odd of a duck to work on. As one Corvette tech who came to closest to being someone I felt I could trust once told me "It's all just nuts and bolts, Rich."

Dealerships are often reluctant to do anything that isn't "by the GM book", so you are often wasting your time even asking them for help. But if you can find the Corvette tech at a local dealership and get a few minutes to talk with him face to face, perhaps he will know of an aftermarket shop that he could recommend you to. But note that although a tech might be assigned as the dedicated "Corvette tech" at a dealership, doesn't always mean that they are really all that much more experienced with Corvettes outside of that little "stock" envelope, and know anything more about aftermarket products than the guy who does the oil changes there.

Yeah, I know this sounds discouraging, but after what I went through with my C5Z, documented in this thread -> https://www.corvetteflorida.com/foru...ad.php?t=44697, I seriously doubt anyone would think I am being overly pessimistic and now looking at the world with only jaundiced eyes. To be perfectly honest, I no longer trust anyone else to even do oil changes on my vehicles. If anything else breaks on my car, if I can't fix it myself, then I sell it, either whole or parted out.

Anyway, good luck on your DIY project. Hope it works out for you. The procedure doesn't sound too tough. But getting underneath these cars to work on them is the biggest challenge. Best thing I EVER did was when having my garage built, I had a commercial 2 post lift put in. It REALLY saved my bacon with my C5Z.