• Got the Contributing Memberships stuff finally worked out and made up a thread as a sort of "How-To" to help people figure out how to participate. So if you need help figuring it out, here's the thread you need to take a look at -> http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3581 Thank you, everyone! Rich Z.

Tire Pressure Issue

T2000

Sarge
My console display shows "service tire monitor system". When I check the gages the left rear tire pressure is blank but the tire has 30 PSI. Is this a sensor problem? How big a problem (cost) is this one?

T2000 said:
My console display shows "service tire monitor system". When I check the gages the left rear tire pressure is blank but the tire has 30 PSI. Is this a sensor problem? How big a problem (cost) is this one?
Good possibility!! Cost depends Where and Who you get the sensor from and then it has to be put in the wheel and the system needs to be re-Programed!!:thumbsup:
PS You need to run the codes on it and check it out first!! It's possible it's something else!!:thumbsup:

T2000 said:

Wow, we just had this EXACT SAME thing fixed yesterday on my wifes 2000 C5. The Left Rear TPM sensor shorted, so they replaced it and programed all four sensors....The Cost for Labor was..$84.00 and it was $157.85 for the Part.
It was however covered under our Extended Warranty Plan.:thumbsup:
BTW...this is what it costed at the DEALERSHIP.:thumbsup:

Seven years is nearing the end of the sensor's battery life. You'll probably start having the others go, too. BTW, you can reprogram the new sensors yourself with just a magnet on the C-5.

From what I have read the TPS batteries last for about 9 years--give or take. When I added the TPS system to my '03 Z06 last year, Roger at Horsepower Sales in Pompano charged me about $60 for each tire valve and nut. Hope this helps.:dancer01:

After i bought my Z16 the first thing that I was not comfortable with was that the Z06s do not have pressure sensors. Since I had become used to them on my '01, I knew I wanted to add them to my Z16. I purchased mine from gmpartshouse.com. If I remember correctly I paid about $35 for each sensor and that included the nut. Give Gene a call he is great to deal with. They are located in PA.

Hope this helps.

Rich

TPS

Sometimes, the sensors lose contact with the receiver, which is part of your fey fob frequency. A low battery or intermintent voltage can cause this. I would check into reseting your TPSensors and maybe your keyfob batteries as well.
Hope this helps,
Joe B.

The sensors changed in '01. I don't think the '01 and later model are interchangeable with the earlier model ('97-'00) but I'm not 100% sure. The later models are less expensive, though.

How exactly do you reset the sensors? You lost me with keyfob batteries! Please help.

1. Turn ignition on, 2. Press "Reset" button in order to clear any IPC display warning messages, 3. Press and release the "Options" button on the DIC to scroll through the display options until the IPC display is blank, 4. Press and hold the DIC "Reset" button for 3 seconds, 5. Press the "Options" button again until TIRE TRAINING message appears, 6. Press "Reset" button until the IPC "Learn L Front Tire" message appears in order to begin the programming, 7. Install the J41760 Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) System Programming Tool (large magnet will do) over the left front valve stem, 8. The horn will sound, indicating the left front TPM sensor is programmed (if this takes more than 15 seconds, pull magnet back and try again, it will give you three tries. Then you must start over) 9. When the horn sounds, proceed to program the next TPM sensor in the following order as directed by the IPC messages: -Learn R Front Tire -Learn R Rear Tire -Learn L Rear Tire Programming can be canceled by turning ignition off, waiting 2 minutes with no sensors being learned, finishing all 4 wheels or through the DIC. If the programming is canceled with less than 4 sensors learned, it will only accept the codes programmed up to that point.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hey T2000,

Wassup Man? Did any of this stuff help or did your mind explode?:hehehe:

Give us some FEEDBACK!!;):thumbsup:

That was great help!! Trying to locate a magnet to get the job done; how big/strong of a magnet does it take?
Ted

That was great help!! Trying to locate a magnet to get the job done; how big/strong of a magnet does it take?
Ted
I use a Magnet out of a Old Wall Mart Spark-O-Matic speaker!!:thumbsup: They have Magnets at Radio Shack too!!:thumbsup:

Magnet

Ted

Ted, as I said in my pm to you it needs to be a strong magnet. Try any parts place, Advance, etc. Get something like a pick-up magnet 2" long. That should work.

Joe B.

Back