View Single Post
Unread 01-22-2010, 09:16 AM   #4
pmj341

Name :
pmj341 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevXtreme 1 View Post
To many don't understand the need for a proper oil seperating catch can, so here is a short explanation as to why you don't want that oil entering your combustion chamber:

GM in their design accepts oil in the intake, but there is nothing good that comes w/it.

1. You want only air & fuel in the combustion chamber, oil does not burn well and any oil included in the intake air charge will result in less energy released per explosion, and it also reduces the useable octane of the fuel your using....resulting in detonation and less power & less fuel economy.

2. The oil does not burn completely and leaves a deposit that builds up on your piston tops & valves. This causes the burn to be uneven & results in hot-spots on the piston top, and the deposits on the valves reduces the velocity, or volumetric efficiency again negatively affecting power.

3. The carbon buildup left by the oil is a very hard & abrasive compound that as small pieces break off can be caught between the cyl wall & piston causing score marks and shortened engine life.

So no!!! Nothing good comes from oil in the intake, but to meet emission requirements GM & every other manufacturer of engines accepts it as a side effect of a closed crankcase ventilation system. A good, proper working oil separating catch can is the only good solution.
Tracy
the catch can works great, it's been on for 6,000 miles and 2 oil changes since I built my 427 stroker, I had an issue and had to remove my intake manifold and to my surprize, NO OIL at all, I empty the can every oil change
and get 1.5 oz.
phil
pmj341 is offline   Reply With Quote