Thread: C6 Brake Fluid
View Single Post
Unread 04-20-2010, 08:16 AM   #3
RevXtreme 1
www.revxtreme.com

Name : Tracy Lewis
RevXtreme 1 has disabled reputation

Your brake fluid should be fine. The issue with brake fluid, especially in our high humidity climate is it attracts moisture like a sponge, and that is where the corrosion comes from that causes the caliper pistons to stick and brakes to hang. I would look at 50k miles or 5 years and do a complete flush. Of more imediate concern (if you have a standard trans) is the hydraulic clutch fluid. The resivoir is small and the feed line from the master to the slave runs close to the exhaust constantly cooking it causing it to break down quicker and produce sludge. This results in the infamous "clutch pedal not returning" issue. Use the "turkey baster" method to remove & refill the resivoir and then pump the pedal 50 times & repeat untill it looks clean. As soon as I can release it, my remote cooler/filter and self circulating system will eliminate that problem by increasing the system to 1 qt and constantly filtering & cooling the fluid as it is recirculated. Just another of the dozens of products I designed that I'm working on to release to the vette crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou G View Post
I would appreciate comments on this question.

I read somewhere that the brake fluid should be replaced after three or four years or after 50k miles.

I have a '06 Vette with 16k miles and is due for an oil and filter change soon.

Should I have the brake fluid changed also?

Thanks, Lou