View Single Post
Unread 05-14-2010, 09:36 PM   #57
gsdave
engineer

Name :
gsdave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
Rich, is this normal for an engine build like you're having done? I had a 502 Ford built and I know it's not nearly as exotic as yours but it was in and out in 2 weeks. It was a bored and stroked 460.

I just don't understand these engines I guess cause it seems like the oil pan and flywheel would just be a bolt in. Why would they build something so different from stock? I'm just trying to learn something here.
I'm sure someone else will chime in here, but I think these issues are perfectly normal. Rich's build is full of aftermarket parts and, while one aftermarket part may mate perfectly with the associated OEM components, it may not necessarily work perfectly with other aftermarket parts. A 427 and a 346 (or whatever the C5 zo6 is) have different strokes and that extra stroke is going to need room. I doubt GM designs these things with all kinds of extra room inside the crankcase, so its easy to see the longer stroke and aftermarket rods causing a problem with the pan.

Most people don't see these issues because they're either less involved than Rich is or their builder does not share the modifications required in casual conversation.
gsdave is offline   Reply With Quote