Thread: damn fire ants
View Single Post
Unread 03-16-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
grumpyvette
retired mech engineer

Name :
grumpyvette has disabled reputation
Default damn fire ants

I build this nice garage and yesterday morning I find a BUNCH of FIRE ANTS in a line going under the door, now in FLORIDA WE HAVE ZILLIONS OF ANTS and I HATE THE LITTLE SNEAKY S.O.B.S., I look around and they are all over the place, but I can,t find whats attracting them?

off to the local home depot, I buy a pump up sprayer
a qt of concentrated SEVIN
a qt of concentrated DURSBAN
a qt of concentrated MALITHON
a qt of concentrated TRISEVIN
and 2 OZ bottle of PYRETHRIN EXTRACT
I dump about an ounce or more of each plus an ounce of dawn dish soap (to destroy surface tension) into the pump up sprayer and I fill it with water, I spray EVERY OUTSIDE SURFACE on the doors and the floors near the doors till they are totally soaked......and the total perimeter of the garage ,today I get up at 6 A.M. and there are what appears to be about 4-6 lbs of coffee grounds piled up near each door, I can,t believe theres that many dead ants......SO I re-spray heavily
,checking at 5 P.M. I find theres not an ANT to be found alive near the garage! .....GOT YOU LITTLE ^^&*&* S.O.B.s (yeah temp. victory but I feel like I made progress)
the wife says I went alittle overboard but shes never worked on her back under a car and had fire ants bite the %^&*& out of HER!

btw CONCENTRATED ON THE LABELS IS A $%^^& JOKE! most of the current stuff is like %5-10% and they call that CONCENTRATED, well compared to the crap thats got less than 1% active ingredients, maybe..

does anyone know where to purchase any decent strength, long lasting insecticides,like chlordane,we used to buy, if you read the labels on 99% of the current offered insecticides at places like home depot you'll usually see concentrations of active ingredients in the 1% or less range
Im getting damn tired of paying good money for what is effectively 99% water and 1% poison that totally degrades and looses its effect in under 3 months tops, (most last for a week or less) when I was a kid we put 1 oz of chlordane in a gallon of water with some dish soap liquid and sprayed in around the house perimeter in about a 2 ft wide barrier area.about twice a year and had zero ants after a day in the house
grumpyvette is offline   Reply With Quote