View Single Post
Unread 03-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #5
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Well, I really like the Electron Blue, but apparently not all "Electron Blues" are created equal, because I have seen some that I didn't care for the shade on a particular car. So apparently even trying to get the car painted the same color might have a risk of it not being exactly what I want attached to it.

I would consider another color if I could find one that I really liked, I suppose. Maybe a deep indigo metallic blue. I like the effect on the C6 Z06 we have with the Cyber Gray Metallic paint. It has flecks of blue in the paint that really looks nice in the sunlight. So I might be interested in a similar effect with the C5Z with some off color flecks in the paint.

Problem is, it's hard to tell what a particular color will really look like on the car just looking at paint samples online.
Agreed. I remember when Chevrolet intoduced the Marina Blue color. My cousin had a new 1967 327 Chevy II that he de-stroked to a 302. That was the first "hotrod" that I ever rode in. 4 speed with cheater slicks. Beautiful color. Another friend had a 69 Chevelle SS the same color. But I've seen variations of that color since then that didn't look right. Seems that when they went from lacquer to enamel and base coat/clear coat they lost something. Back in the 70's when I painted airplanes and cars the guy that mixed the paint (lacquer) showed me the formula book and told me that if he even changed the order that the colors were added, it made the paint come out a different color. And it's pretty amazing how they arrived at certain colors. For instance, the yellow color that was on 1967 Firebirds starts out with a black pigment. I don't even think you can get lacquer paint now. It was easy to paint with though.
I think the only way to choose a color is to see it on someone elses car and find out what it is.