View Single Post
Unread 08-01-2008, 12:00 AM   #15
86DSOMVERT
Maui No Ka Oi

Name :
86DSOMVERT is on a distinguished road

As taken from http://usa.visa.com/download/merchan...ance_guide.pdf

“See ID” Some customers write “See ID” or “Ask for ID” in the signature panel, thinking that this is a deterrent against fraud or forgery; that is, if their signature is not on the card, a fraudster will not be able to forge it. In reality, criminals don’t take the time to practice signatures: they use cards as quickly as possible after a theft and prior to the accounts being blocked.

They are actually counting on you not to look
at the back of the card and compare signatures—they may even have access to counterfeit identification with a signature in their own handwriting.

“See ID” or “Ask for ID” is not a valid substitute for a signature. The customer
must sign the card in your presence, as stated above.

Requesting
Cardholder ID
When should you ask a cardholder for an official government ID? Although Visa
rules do not preclude merchants from asking for cardholder ID, merchants
cannot make an ID a condition of acceptance.
Therefore, merchants cannot refuse to complete a purchase transaction because a cardholder refuses to provide ID. Visa believes merchants should not ask for ID as part of their regular card acceptance procedures. Laws in several states also make it illegal for merchants to write a cardholder’s personal information, such as an address or phone number, on a sales receipt.

I recently had a problem at the Atlanta Marquis. They insisted that they have my ID. Nope not happening. They said we can't check you in. Called VISA and Marriott Rewards Visa got the guy on the phone. Said they would not accept my Visa card that is signed on the back and is otherwise valid without providing Photo ID. Visa and the bank confirmed that it is against Visa/Mastercard regulations that they have set up with merchants and that they could not force me to provide ID.

Went back to the counter and observed the desk clerk entering the guest's DL info that was behind me, entering his Alabama Drivers License information into the computer. Said it was policy!!

The problem I have with showing photo ID or in the case of Doctors, or anybody making a photocopy of my ID, not just looking at it to confirm my ID, is that I was the victim of an ID theft from a Hotel clerk some 12 years ago, who stole my Identity and ran up 190K worth of charges, by simply making a photo copy of my drivers license, which had everything on it that he needed including the SSN. Fighting 3.5 years with the credit bureaus makes one paranoid and non trusting of anybody who asks for it except for johnny law.

1986 Corvette Convertible Pace Car Replica #5410 Daytona Sunset Orange Metallic
2008 Impala SS LS4 Magnaflow Catback CAI
Florida Keys Corvette Club
Nathan Independent Travel Agent
--------------------------------------------------
I swear to God, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity.

Last edited by 86DSOMVERT; 08-24-2008 at 06:40 AM.
86DSOMVERT is offline   Reply With Quote