View Single Post
Unread 07-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #12
Rich427
'69 Vert/'01 Vert/'04 Z16

Name :
Rich427 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap142 View Post
I didn't know a non TPS car could simply be retro fitted to work with TPS. Is their some kind of programing update to be completed? I don't understand. Do you just install them and they tell you when a tire is low? How do day do dat?
Yes, your car can be retro fitted for the sensors. Everything is there and in place, except for the sensors. When you put tires on those new rims, they will install new valve stems anyway. The sensor is located on the opposite end of the valve stem as an integrated unit, so the sensor replaces a normal valve stem. The sensor's valve stem comes through the rim from the inside of the wheel and is held in place with a nut that goes over the valve stem and tightens the valve stem/sensor to the wheel. That is all there is to the installation. Then the sensors have to be activated, which is a simple process. There does not have to be any updating to your programming. Everything is there, the sensors are just not turned on since you don't have them on your wheels. Ken, trust me, ...easy-peasy!

As far as where you go to have it done, I would make sure that you deal with someone that is going to treat your car like you wanted it treated. I am not a big fan of tire stores, because they are just looking to turn out as many jobs as they can a day, and they typically hire young kids that I wouldn't trust them cutting my grass. Just my opinion based on my experiences. Others may have different opinions.

I guess the reason I mentioned finding a good dealership in your area is that they want you to come back to them, for more service, for parts, a new car for Carrie, etc. So, they have a different incentive than a tire store. BUT, I would not do this blindly. I would go talk to the service manager about his Corvette mechanic/mechanics and see if you get a warm fuzzy from him. If not, go somewhere else. Maybe I am spoiled, but we have a Chevy dealership down here that I have great confidence in. They are not perfect, none are, but they have treated me well. They also happen to be our Corvette club sponsor, plus they sell quite a few Corvettes. But, before I took one of my Corvettes in there for service, I went in and talked to the service manager and we discussed what I expected from him and what he felt they could provide to me. It worked for me, but maybe that approach would not work for everyone.

Good luck with this project. You will get it right, just take your time getting to a shop that works for you.

Let me know if you need any help or advise on the sensors.

Rich

2014 Z51 7 Speed Convertible
Laguna Blue/Grey/Grey
Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote