View Single Post
Unread 03-16-2008, 07:09 PM   #7
Formula Outlaw
65' 2 owner car

Name :
Formula Outlaw has disabled reputation
Default Motor Work Gone South

In Sept. of 06 I developed a slightling seeping head gasket in my 65 Vette. As usual I took it to Corvettes West in Sarasota, who had not only done all of the previous work (to which I was always more than satisified) but I'd also known Tommy since he had moved to Sarasota from NY in 1975. Considered him a good friend.

While the heads were off he suggested that we install roller lifters and rockers for better, and smoother, performance. Anything to make it run better to me is like the holy grail so of course I agreed.

Tommy was nice enough to let me pay the car in three installments. And here I fully admit it gets a bit sticky. I wrote him the final check and asked him to hold it because the IRS had frozen my bank account because my seperated but still legally married to "wife", had gotten her backside in a sling over taxes she'd owed previously to knowing me. Because she was still legally married to me, the IRS froze my account also covering their backside. After two meetings with the IRS they finally agreed to unfreeze my account. I notified Corvettes West that it was okay to deposit the check and left for TN helping my brother move up here. Unfortunately I was involved in a near fatal crash and took ten months to recover from. During the first three months I had no contact with anyone. The bank, not hearing from me, took the money out of my account to apply toward a VISA card they had issued me. They had no idea where I was so they covered their backside. For reasons known only to Corvettes West, the check was never deposited. Apparently sometime last summer Tommy tried only to be told the account had been closed leaving him holding the check. Under different circumstances I would certainly pay him that check. Under different circumstances that is. Now this may not be right, but at the moment I feel that is just more money I ultimately did not just throw away.

For whatever reason, Corvettes West did not install a roller cam in my motor when they installed the roller lifters/rockers, which is REQUIRED. A regular cam will just "slap" at the roller lifters and destroy the lobe tips, which is exactly what happened. Because of my injuries, I put less than five hundred miles on my car before the motor self destructed. The only good thing is I didn't put a rod through the side of the block. I had three different mechanics up here, all who build engines for NASCAR, tell me that the ONLY REASON MY MOTOR WENT SOUTH WAS THE FAILURE TO INSTALL A ROLLER CAM WITH THE ROLLER LIFTERS. One even stated that any mechanice who could draw a paycheck two weeks in a row would know better.

I communicated with Tommy about this issue. I never got mad, I just asked why wasn't a roller cam installed? I finally got an email back from him passing the buck in about every way one could think of, but he NEVER EVER ADDRESSED THE ISSUE OF WHY A ROLLER CAM WAS NOT INSTALLED IN MY MOTOR. NOT ONE SINGLE WORD. He accused me of driving the car over five hundred miles, he said my motor was "old and I'd only wanted a temporary fix" (okay so think about this for a second, I've got a seeping head gasket and I only want it "temporarily fixed"???? Does that even sound close to reasonable????) He emailed me about nine paragraphs about gobbility goop and threatened to post the check that never cleared if I "badmouthed" him. Why he procrastinated on depositing that check after notified it was okay to do so only he knows. But for the sake of "full disclosure" I wanted that check on the record.

They say a picture says a thousand words. Well, you look at the pictures and judge for yourself.

And I'm not "badmouthing" anyone here. I'm only relaying to anyone who might be interested as to what happened to me. Each of you will come to your own conclusions.

I wish more than anything that Tommy would have had the "sack" to just apologize for the problems, but I didn't even get that. I would have thought that after knowing someone for 33 years, I would have at least gotten that.

Anyone who wants further evidence can contact Corey (service manager)at Classic Cars Southeast, 615-449-4300 or Erik at 615-688-4844. I'm sure they would be more than happy to verify my account of the damage and cause of my motor.

More than anything I regret the loss of a friendship.
Attached Images

65' - originally L76 - now full roller motor - est. 128 rear wheel horsepower- 4.11 Posi - original parts mothballed / 1,657 coats of wax, AND the clock works...
Formula Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote