View Single Post
Unread 12-14-2012, 10:54 PM   #1
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough
Default Connecticut Murders

Rich, not sure if this goes here, feel free to move it if need be....

What are your thoughts on stopping these senseless murders? Gun control laws won't work because there are miliions of guns already out there and the bad guys aren't gonna give theirs up. And I'm sure not given' up mine.

I was a School Resource Officer for four years of my career as a Sheriff's Deputy. We were trained in Active Shooter Response, just for such a situation as what happened today. And I don't mean we took a class on it, we lived it, every year during the summers. We had unknown scenarios at different schools and were sent in with "Simunition", which are Glocks(like the ones we carried) that shoot wax bullets. (And, yes, they hurt!) We trained and were critiqued by some of the best in the world. (Dano Miller of Semper Fi International, for one.) We were trained to go to the threat and stop the shooter. Some of those officers got "killed" during the training. Myself and another deputy (a SWAT team member) were the only ones who survived throughout all the training.(during all four years) I did get shot in my left hand once, but I still was able to find the shooter and "kill" him. I told my superiors that I needed a gun locker in the school I was assigned to so my M16 would be handy in the event a situation occurred, but I was told that would never happen, so I kept it in the trunk of my cruiser. Sadly, a Glock is no match for an M16 or AK47, but we were prepared to make do with what we had.

I think we need SRO's in every school in America, not just high schools and middle schools. Knowing there are well trained officers in every school would be a deterent I believe, but more importantly, someone would be there to respond immediately, and neutralize the threat, if the need did arise.