View Single Post
Unread 11-23-2010, 08:07 AM   #19
thebeepster
truth seeker

Name :
thebeepster has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
Having a CC permit is all well and good, but in these situations (carjacking, robbery, etc.) the majority of the time the victims are at a disadvantage, due to the element of surprise. That is to say, when the bad guy already has his gun pointed at you(or knife, tire iron, whatever) there is no way you can retrieve your weapon in a manner that would have a positive result on your behalf. That said, a distraction could possibly buy you some time. Seat belts are a good distraction, but even if you are successful in making this work you're very likely to scare the bad guy into shooting/stabbing you. On the other hand, the seat belt is something that restricts your access to your weapon if you carry in a belt holster. Having carried my off duty weapon while driving my Vette, I discovered that it's practically impossible to draw from my concealed hip carry holster without getting out of the car, or at least coming up out of the seat. And keeping it in the console doesn't work either. Shoulder holsters offer easier access, but who wears that much clothing here in Florida, and besides, the bad guy's going to see you going for it. Basically, if you don't anticipate what's happening during a carjacking, you're screwed.
My advice, stay away from the shady areas of town. When you have no choice try to leave at least a cars length behind other cars when you come to a stop light or stop sign so that you have some room to manuver if you see it coming. This is a good idea anywhere. When it comes to fight or flight, often flight is the best defense. Having a CC permit may give you a false sense of superiority. The bottom line is, whoever gets the drop has the advantage. And it's not practical or legal to drive around with a gun in your hand. Use common sense and be alert. I was in my patrol car one night and a guy came up to me and pulled a flare gun out of his pants pocket and handed it to me. Scared the sh** out of me! He had found it and just wanted to turn it over to an LEO. That showed me right then how easy it is to be on the losing end of an altercation with a weapon. Having a weapon and knowing how to use it is good, but not always good enough. Be careful, be safe, keep your eyes open to what's going on around you.
Best advice I've ever read regarding self defense! While we all have fantasized about being Clint Eastwood, good common sense is often the better part of valor...
thebeepster is offline   Reply With Quote