View Single Post
Unread 01-20-2007, 09:19 AM   #10
Rich427
'69 Vert/'01 Vert/'04 Z16

Name :
Rich427 is on a distinguished road

Gannett did a great job in providing you with both sides of the story. I agree with him completely!

I have only made one modification to my '01 6 speed vert and that was the exhaust. Although I maybe in the minority here, I really liked the stock C5 exhaust tips. Although a little small based on the size of the rear fascia, I thought the shape was well designed based on the similar shape of the tail lights. That said, I was always a little disappointed with the sound of the stock exhaust. Even when I stuck my foot in it, the exhaust sound just gave me the impression that I was driving a two seater Impala!

So, I just recently (after owning the '01 for over 5 years) changed the exhaust to the Corsa Indy Pace Car with the Pro Tips. This modification gave me the sound I was looking for, without the drawbacks of a lot of the other exhaust systems out there. This exhaust does not drone during any of the normal cruising speeds, so I can still listen to the radio, or have a conversation with a passenger. I was able to pick up the exhaust at Corvette Carlisle on a show special for $825 and the install was pretty easy.

My point is, this is one modification that I would recommend if you are looking for a little more aggressive sound from your ride. So far I have not found a downside to this modification. The one thing I would caution is I do not think I would be happy with the sound if I had also added headers. With the headers and the Pace Cars I think the sound would have been a little over the top for me.

I thought about additional modifications to improve the performance of the '01 vert, but decided I would be much better off leaving it the way it is, enjoying it for what it is (which is no slouch by any means) and I went out and bought a '04 Z06 CE to satisfy my additional need for power. I know this may sound extreme, but you might be surprised in the financial difference between serious hot rodding and buying another hot rod! Just my opinion.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Rich
Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote