Thread: Street racers
View Single Post
Unread 07-28-2009, 10:41 AM   #27
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2POWA View Post
I guess theres no point in owning a car thats made to push 200mph then if were limited to 70 at most then right? Sorry if it pisses people off but most people jump out of planes, some jump off cliffs, some dive with sharks. As stated before this is something I love, I do it with no one else around.
It's not illegal to sky dive, jump off cliffs, or dive with sharks. I don't recall hearing any stories where any innocent bystanders died because someone was bitten by a shark..... It's legal to own a gun, but is it ALWAYS legal to use it? NOPE. Only in the right scenarios such as a gun range or defense of yourself. Therefore the speed thing only flies when you are on a designated legal track.

My point is HOW can you possibly know that NO ONE is around?? I don't care how flat long stretch of two lane road it is. There is ALWAYS the chance that someone is pulling out of a side dirt road, off the shoulder when they stopped for a few minutes on their own, someone coming the other way decides to make a stupid u-turn or left turn, or even a large animal has run out in front of you.

Here's a video of how quickly it can go bad with a tire blow out. This does not appear to be a police camera although it's hard to tell because it seems to be a European roadway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iqyvwzpnHk

Quote:
Gordon said it would take 13X ft for the brakes to even start working,
Actually he said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow
At that speed, you're moving at approximately 264 FPS

Given an observation and reaction time in the half second range, you're still going to travel 132' before anything even starts to happen to slow down the car...and that's if you don't move the wheel.
That means that even if you fully expect the danger ahead (which human nature is to be complacent) you would still cover 1/2 of a football field before you BEGIN to react. One scond into it and you are already near the whole football field distance. Add in the OH SH*T factor and you have 2 to 3 football fields of distance involved. You are shocked and go through a brief stage of disbelief before a crash (or other traumatic event) which causes your brain to slow down and mull through the options that are not as bad as what you know is coming. Humans have a safety system that creates tunnel vision when under stress. This stress does not have to be all bad, just stress in general. The stress causes you to concentrate harder on the road ahead, but that limits your field of view and choices available based on your limited vision area. Shadow can explain this one better I'm sure.

Quote:
and I forget how far it takes Z06 brakes to come to a full stop from 100. But at most Id be looking at 300ft of total distance, and how many feet are in 2 mile stretch? I think I had plenty of time to stop/slow down.
I used to set up specific distances to run (marathon training). I know what an exact mile looks like, and I think you may be over estimating what you see in the distance. I don't believe myself that you can see 2 miles ahead. If you were in the Death Valley desert I still don't believe that distance is obtainable with environmental factors such as hills, curves, bends in the road, heat waves bouncing off the pavement (and your headlights WOULD NOT illuminate more than a couple of hundred feet in front of your car at night). You would outrun your headlights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7Zsz7uc5j4

Quote:
I know the road pretty well that Im on. Its a veeeery long stretch of a flat, straight two lane road. No houses, no cross streets, ditch's off the side of the road so no one can even park there to wait(including cops).
NONE huh?

Quote:
Lou, the same thing applies to everyone on the road. Its the chance you take every time you get behind the wheel. Ive been there, done that, dont eve wanna see it again...hence why IF Im gonn go its gonna be on my hands...not someone elses.
Again, hopefully IF it happens, you don't take anyone with you.

Quote:
Still dont see a point of jumping on a guys back cause he pushed a machine to what it was made for with 0 people around and enough leeway to stop, its not like I was the ass in town blowing red lights, doing double the speed IN the city, basic ricer crap.
Everyone has their opinion....
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote