Thread: LS2 Limits.
View Single Post
Unread 03-09-2008, 12:09 PM   #10
THOR

Name :
THOR will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannet View Post
If you're going FI, ported heads are nice, but not very cost-effective. A pound of boost will equal a head upgrade.

The conventional wisdom on the Corvette 6L80E is that it is not bulletproof, quite the contrary. 500 rwhp is considered the upper limit. It is not the same unit as is in the trucks. A search at CF in the C6 FI section should reveal all. Or call the Corvette transmission gurus at RPM Transmissions and ask Rodney. Or talk to Next Level Performance, EnglandGreen, or any of the other Florida tuners with a lot of PROVEN Corvette C6 FI experience (it's not everyone).

The maximum engine torque is your number of concern. The maximum gearbox torque allows for the torque multiplication of the torque converter.

"Built motor" in this context generally means forged pistons. All the other stock components are capable of handling 800 rwhp, although most guys change to an aftermarket rod when they're in there. The stock rods should have the bolts replaced, and by the time you get them resized, etc., it just as cheap to go to a forged rod. You will need stronger valve springs to compensate for the boost pressure on the backside of the valve.

The best way to do this, I think, is to work with a proven FI tuner/builder and follow their recommendations. Learn from the "blown" motors that have gone before you.

Good luck with your project!
Corey, There's a trmendous amount of wisdom here. I'd take this info very seriously if I were you.
THOR is offline   Reply With Quote