Thread: Custom Wheels
View Single Post
Unread 07-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #10
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road

I didn't know a non TPS car could simply be retro fitted to work with TPS. Is their some kind of programing update to be completed? I don't understand. Do you just install them and they tell you when a tire is low? How do day do dat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich427 View Post
Ken, it is not the dealer but the installer at the dealership. My experience over the last handful of years is that Chevy dealers that do a decent business selling Vettes will normally do a decent job on service. They typically only have 1 or 2 mechanics that they let work on Corvettes. If not, don't go there. If you have a Chevy dealer in your area, go talk to the service manager and tell him what you expect from his service people when they work on your car. You will quickly get a sense whether you are dealing with the right dealership.

Now as far as your wheels, I think you made a great choice picking the Z16 Speedline wheels. BUT, one thing I would recommend is that you get the Tire Pressure Sensors NOW and have them installed when you have the wheels and tires mounted. You will be glad that you did this mod. If you choose to have the work done at a dealer, they are equipped to activate the sensors properly for you. This is the first mod I did to my Z16 when I bought it. Also, do not buy the sensors through the dealer, they will charge you around $70 per wheel. I bought mine for my Z06 from GM Parts House and also bought replacements for my '01 vert from them. They run around $40 a wheel from them. Since you currently don't have them on your car, make sure you get the mounting hardware, (nut, maybe a washer, but these are peanuts price wise). The guys at GM Parts House will get you the right stuff if you explain what you are doing to them. In fact, 2Vettes just posted a thread where her rear sensors are going bad. I posted a response with a link to GM Parts House on these sensors.

Good luck Ken!

Rich