View Single Post
Unread 06-15-2008, 07:43 PM   #7
ChuckG
Retired Florida Geezer

Name :
ChuckG is on a distinguished road

Yep, that was me. The make-up crew made me look MUCH older for the TV spot, as they wanted a "mature" individual.

I've been the event director of Vintage Thunder for many years. Always a lot of fun. Rich427 is one of my buddies, and he has raced his 69BB at VT on several occasions before he headed South.

Usually we get 100-120 Corvette racers, but this year the attendance was way down. We had 75 cars and 80 racers.

Why? The economy, gas prices, the HEAT, plus a lot of competing events in the area.

Spoke with the guys at Cecil County Dragway. These are the professional guys who actually run our event. They told me that their Wednesday and Friday night "test and tune" attendance is down by a whopping 40% this year.

So, I guess our 25% drop wasn't too bad. I ran the 69. Couldn't hook up. That car usually runs high 13.8's to 13.9's. Best I could do was 14.20.

Entered the eliminations, only because my 2 grandchildren wanted to see "grandpa" race. Won 3 rounds. In the elimination round, I lost by a few thousandths. Just as well that I lost. Wouldn't look "right" for the Event Director to be a Class Winner.

Chuck

1969 Corvette Conv. Orange/Black, 400HP BB, Automatic, NCRS Top Flight

1956 Chevrolet 2 Door Sedan. 355, 4 speed, Vintage Air, Old School Hot Rod

2006 Corvette Conv. Velocity Yellow/Black
ChuckG is offline   Reply With Quote