View Single Post
Unread 05-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #1
NOT A TA

Name :
NOT A TA has disabled reputation
Default 89 floor damage repair / or Flintstone driver?

I have a request to repair a floor damaged by running over a truck tire on I-95. The tire smashed the fiberglass floor pan hard enough to knock out a 1 foot square section of the floor under the drivers heels (not the toeboard section). The underlayment's hanging and there's a hole through the carpet. The hole in the carpet is in the low corner on the rocker side front (presumably rotted and not from the truck tire hit).

I haven't had the car up in the air yet and never worked on glass floors so I have a couple questions you folks might be able to answer. Car is a daily driver, and far from show quality with a cheap respray, worn interior, cracked/rotted rubber door gaskets, etc. Not really up to the standard of cars I normally work on, but it's a neighbors.... sooooo LOL

How big is the section of the floor and what's it attached to?

Are repair/replacement floor panels available and if so any recommendations about where to purchase?

Anything in particular to watch out for if I pull the seat, carpet etc to get at that area of the floorpan from the inside?

How much structural strength does the floor pan contribute? It seems very thin but ya never know.

Any special jacking instructions? I don't have a lift, just floor jacks. No jacking/lifting experience with Corvettes, just metal cars LOL and even my 911 can only be jacked up a certain way so I want to be carefull.

I do have experience working with fiberglass and building/working on cars in general. Just being cautious so I don't end up with a can of worms.

Any help, tips, or advise would be appreciated. Even if that is telling me to walk away from the job.