View Single Post
Unread 11-26-2008, 06:24 AM   #11
Harbor Master

Name :
Harbor Master has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by THOR View Post
DVD, you aren't making any sense in your posts. The other guys are making valid points and interesting to read. Please stay on topic so there is a continuity of thought. THis is a polite request, please.
Regarding the history of Unions, I can understand why they exist. Previously, the workers had no rights and were almost slave labor mentality.
But the old cliche' holds true here-Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Unions dictating what work can be done or not done is not good for business. Take the tire industry for example. John Doe can build 6 large truck tires a day. His co-worker Lazy Bob can only build 3 of the same tires per day. The union protects Lazy Bob and takes any incentive away from John Doe by allowing the workers to build only 3 tires a day!!
Why short change innovation and hard work. We've become a nation of doing just enough to get by and therfore losing our global influence in the market place.
THOR, Management has to manage the work place. I will not make argument for the three tire person. In fact quite the opposite. Take the three tire person to task. Set quotas and enforce those quotas for all employees. Document everything you do as a manager. Have in place a progressive discipline policy to deal with these kind of issues.Be consistent and treat all employees the same. Address issues as they arise and do not use save ups that are not documented.

I feel employees should rise to the challenges and not only meet them but strive to exceed them. Probably wishful thinking on my part but it is the way I feel. HUTCH
Harbor Master is offline   Reply With Quote