View Single Post
Unread 02-14-2011, 05:35 PM   #3
Z06 Rocket

Name :
Z06 Rocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
I don't think the majority of citizens have a problem with this. On the road a LEO is the boss and he or she also enjoys some fringe benefits. As I said before, they are brothers.

Do9es it irritate me when they're driving over the speed limit in what appears to be a non emergency? Hell ya, but I understand they're no different than me and I'm over the speed limit all of the time.
The person on the other end of the 911 call (even if its not a life or death situation to you) still wants the response to be as quick as possible. When you are on the other end of that call waiting on police it is very important that the police get there quickly (to you) which is what is going through the LEO's mind on the way to the call.

The FL legislature specifically wrote a law pertaining to the fact that LEO are exempt from normal traffic laws while in the performance of their duty (not always a lights and siren type run - any duty) as long as it doesn't expose the public to unnecessary and unreasonable dangers. If the officer feels that going 5, 10 or 15 over the speed limit is what is needed then he is allowed to do so by law. Generally the departments want the officers to follow the laws as much as possible (mostly for the public perception of the speed etc) but they allow the officers to use their discretion as well.
Z06 Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote