Thread: Drag Racers
View Single Post
Unread 02-08-2010, 12:59 AM   #99
NOT A TA

Name :
NOT A TA has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
You did a fantastic job and it may end up being overkill for furture events but you got what you wanted. I also would like to commend you for documenting all of these changes for the benefit of others. And everyone else supported you during the build.

I posted some DIY on the Corvette Forum and added photos. The last one was how to change the PCM. Several guys picked apart my method of removing the connectors. I designed a lot of this stuff for military applications and now I've got these dumb azzes criticizing. I just quit doing it.
Thanks Bob! I usually stay away from posting DIY maintenance threads and only post "how to" threads about modifications or custom build stuff because of the same problem you had. I've actually had people tell me how something was done on particular cars and they're waaaay off base. I know because I either designed the parts or assembled that part of the car! I've worked on a lot of stuff for people and no one knows it's my work so I just keep my mouth shut and chuckle to myself.

On one forum a guy posted about how he was going to install Trans Am emblems in wheel centercaps "the right way" with 3M trim adhesive after I'd posted that they should only be installed with silicone when someone else first posted a question about emblem intstallation..... No one knew but I'd designed centercaps that were made to accept the same emblems but hadn't started marketing them yet! LOL I knew the 3M adhesive would eat the plastic emblems after 5 minutes of setup and distort the back side of the emblem. I posted again that I recommended only silicone and the original poster should take my advice. I would have loved to see the other guys face as the graphics in his emblems melted and distorted from the 3M! LOL There goes a hundred bucks!

Usually I only post stuff like this carbon fiber dash build if there's companies sponsoring the build so they get the advertising. Most of the time no one ever knows I had anything to do with the cars. Since it's not something anyone else has done I don't get any know it all comments. This one got "stickied" on some of the TA forums. http://transamcountry.com/community/...?topic=31560.0

I bet Spiceman runs into that kind of stuff on forums where they're telling him about stuff he worked on not knowing he was involved initially.