The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 09-05-2007, 10:46 AM   #1
Anti Venom
Wrencher

Name :
Anti Venom is on a distinguished road
Default Unbelievable......buyer beware

Got a call from a new customer last week, said that he had just bought a 1969 corvette and it was being delivered from California. He wanted it delivered here instead of his residence. This way he could have me give it a checkout to see where it might need attention. It was stated to him buy the seller ( A used Corvette dealer in California ) that this car could be driven immediately, and as a matter of fact it could be driven to and from work. Well, the transport arrived Saturday morning and we got in the car to drive it off the transport and this car first has NO BRAKES whatsoever. Barely runs then put it in reverse (automatic) and no reverse then no drive. Nothing. $18,000 is what he paid for this car.....$900.00 for transport here. Got it into the shop and found the vacuum for the headlights etc was plugged off and it was spray painted everywhere, the "new paint job" is awfull, it did not even come with the stuff on it displayed in the photos.

The intention of this post is first for me to spout off, second to simply say, if you want to buy a car long distance, PLEASE buy a plane ticket and see the car first! Then drive it. If its local just ask me to inspect I have no problem with that.

Last edited by Anti Venom; 09-12-2007 at 08:36 AM.
Anti Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2007, 11:37 AM   #2
zzzona

Name :
zzzona has disabled reputation

Unread 09-05-2007, 12:24 PM   #3
THOR

Name :
THOR will become famous soon enough

A very painful lesson. I totally agree with your assessment.
THOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2007, 12:25 PM   #4
CHASZ51
Z51

Name :
CHASZ51 is on a distinguished road

I was there also when the 69 was dropped off, it did look pretty rough for $18,000.
CHASZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2007, 12:46 PM   #5
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

The purchaser may have some recourse depending on the ad? If you want to have him contact me I'll be happy to see whats up?

If you can't afford the plane ticket or can't get time off to go look at it yourself, get someone you trust to do it for you.

I've looked over several cars for forum members in the past. It's not that big a deal and sure beats gettign ripped off

I hate thieves and scammers!
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2007, 01:18 PM   #6
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road
Default I was lucky.....

When I bought my 72 BB I started off by exchanging e-mails and phone calls back and forth with the previous owner in Alabama . Every question I had he would patiently answer . He was forthright and sent me a ton and a half of photos . My knowledge was limited but (by gawd) I was doing my home work and learning from every direction I could. Super people like Nytro and others offered advise and I used my new found info to seek more answers. Now keep in mind that until this Vette I had never owned one and started out knowing little (heck I probably only know a bit more now).

I learned "numbers matching" and "tranny ID's" and "rear end numbers" and "bonding strips" and to say the least "documentation".

My Sweet wife then took and late December trip to Pell City Alabama with me to look at this 72 coupe and see if, at least, I could look like less then a durn dumba**.

I paid a price but the problems were nothing a 30+ year old restored BB wouldn't have.

I WAS LUCKY, I was dealing with an honest guy.

Yep as you guys (and gals Ms Anti Venom and my gal Classy) might remember I did my share of brake work and such and even replaced a radiator and such. But my first Vette was really my dream car.

Honestly if I'd had nothing to work on It would have been just someone else's car I now owned.

I guess, based on my past life in investigations, I tried to plug every hole I could to make the purchase what I hoped it would be.

Be critical, be questioning, go look, go have people look.

My humble opinion is if we do not have the expertise, surround yourself with those who do. Particulary here, everyone( did I say everyone?) is willing to help.

Ken (in my humble opinion)
Unread 09-05-2007, 01:25 PM   #7
Anti Venom
Wrencher

Name :

I really wish that the guy would have contacted me before he had purchaced. He talked to me before, then I would have given my advice. Funny thing is that this car is really nothing special, base horsepower 350 with an automatic. Now, I had to be the bearer of bad news. The bad thing is that yesterday I was shown the ad for the car. At the bottom it had disclaimers. "buyer accepts this car as is with all faults and shortcomings" Now that should have been the first signal not just to turn your back, but run away. So... that being said; if anyone wants any purchacing advice I will be MORE than happy to tell what to look out for!
Unread 09-05-2007, 01:43 PM   #8
Suicide King

Name :
Suicide King is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear this. Crooks and Thieves suck a$$. I feel sorry for the buyer. I’m sure he was very excited to get the car and now you have to inform him it’s crap. Hope you can fix it up for him.
Unread 09-05-2007, 01:55 PM   #9
Anti Venom
Wrencher

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide King
Sorry to hear this. Crooks and Thieves suck a$$. I feel sorry for the buyer. I’m sure he was very excited to get the car and now you have to inform him it’s crap. Hope you can fix it up for him.
It is completely up to him on fixing this car. Everything is completely do-able, but obviously it comes at a price. I mean needs 4 calipers, 4 rotors, brake hoses, all hard lines, master cylinder, brake booster. That is just the braking system needs....not to mention a trans, suspension, power steering, and a marginal engine. When does someone draw the line? I am the first to admit that a 38 year old car WILL need something, but If this car's nameplate was not Corvette, but Nova, Vega, Camaro, then the price would have been nowhere near $18,000, but maybe one tenth the price. This man's dream car could end up as his nightmare. This car can easily suck down another $10,000 before paint. I really want to thank everyone for letting me rant on this subject.
Unread 09-05-2007, 02:12 PM   #10
Rich427
'69 Vert/'01 Vert/'04 Z16

Name :
Rich427 is on a distinguished road

Back in 1989 I found my '69 BB Vert in Manchester NH. I spent a ton of time on the phone asking questions about the car and its condition. I then felt comfortable sending a deposit to hold the car until I had someone local go look at. I got in touch with a restorer in that area and paid him to go look the car over. He sent me a 5 page list of items that were right and were wrong.

I then negotiated a deal predicated on my flying there inspecting the car and if the car was as advertised and was in my inspection report, I would cut the deal. I bought a one way airline ticket to NH and the car was pretty close to what I had expected with all the information I had received. But by know means was it perfect.

I completed the deal, pulled into the closest gas station and filled her up. About 15 minutes into the trip I started to get this funny feeling that it was stupid to think that I should drive this car from NH to Maryland. I started hearing noises in the engine, suspension, ...I felt every stone or tiny pebble I may have run over. To be honest, the first hour of the drive was not comfortable at all. I was talking myself into a nervous breakdown.

After that first hour, just all of a sudden, the engine smoothed out as if it cleared its throat. Then the ride started to smooth out as well. The trip back to Maryland was very uneventful, but I would not recommend this to anyone. Yes, do your homework, have the car looked at by an independent third party, and go see it. Then put the car on a trailer and tow it home. I am convinced that a portion of my grey hair was from the first hour of that trip. The balance of my grey hair is from raising my daughter, but that is another story!

2014 Z51 7 Speed Convertible
Laguna Blue/Grey/Grey
Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote