The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 08-20-2010, 09:31 PM   #1
Sweptclean

Name :
Sweptclean has disabled reputation
Default Which is faster...???

Which is faster...? Say you have two identical vettes, same engine, same model, either coupe or convertible. But one with the 6 speed automatic and the other with the 6 speed manual. Which one is faster in acceleration and which has a higher top speed ???

Thanks for your answers and input, guys (and/or dolls).

Another question: I have heard that you can "tweek" the vette's computer and get more horsepower. Would doing that void the warranty..??

Rene
Unread 08-20-2010, 09:59 PM   #2
tblt44
1995 vette Black on Black

Name :
tblt44 has disabled reputation

what rear gear will they have ???
Unread 08-20-2010, 10:06 PM   #3
Sweptclean

Name :
Sweptclean has disabled reputation

for the sake of argument, lets say the same. Although I know that the automatic has a different gear ratio than the manual trans.

I know that the automatic shifts are in milliseconds, while the manual depends on the ability of the driver. But would the manual hold the shift points (red line) better than the automatic.????
Unread 08-20-2010, 10:12 PM   #4
Tampa Tuning
Tampa Tuner

Name : Phil
Tampa Tuning is on a distinguished road

When I tune a C5 or C6, the automatic transmission owners seem to noticeable more of a differance. I think that's because of all the work done at part throttle, shift points, shift pressure and they "feel" the change more. ALOT more torque management is able to be reduced.

That doesnt mean they will put down better numbers on a dyno because they will not. There is more drivetrain loss on the automatics.

Track times, an automatic will be more consistant

www.TAMPATUNING.com
813-727-8720

Corvette Camaro GTO CTS-v Dyno Charger and Challenger DYNO Tuning in Tampa, Brandon, St. Petersburg, Bradenton
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2010, 11:19 PM   #5
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Well, in the quarter mile, automatics don't have the human factor of a possible missed shift.

As for your warranty, yes, running an aftermarket tune will likely void any warranty on your engine and drivetrain. You have just given GM an excuse to claim that the tune is what caused the failure. I don't know how much wiggle room the local service department has with something like that, but I sure wouldn't want to chance it if I valued the warranty.
Unread 08-21-2010, 07:48 AM   #6
Tampa Tuning
Tampa Tuner

Name : Phil
Tampa Tuning is on a distinguished road

Im tuning a 2009 C6 this morning. The car is equipted with a 231/237 cam on a 111 LSA. Its a 6 speed. Those 1% guys are still modifying their cars for more fun

www.TAMPATUNING.com
813-727-8720

Corvette Camaro GTO CTS-v Dyno Charger and Challenger DYNO Tuning in Tampa, Brandon, St. Petersburg, Bradenton
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2010, 09:36 AM   #7
thebeepster
truth seeker

Name :
thebeepster has disabled reputation

I've owned both and would say that the slush box is faster for MOST drivers.
Most of us (me especially) have only moderate driving skills and lose speed/acceleration during the shifting process in the short run. The VERY SKILLED driver will get more out of the manual during the short run or a road course. Top end speed will probably favor the manual.

Much has been written on the other forum (CF) about tunes voiding the warranty (you may want to do a search). If you have good rapport with your dealer, they may choose to overlook the tune.
thebeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2010, 11:27 AM   #8
Bob K
Deceased

Name : Bob Korreck
Bob K has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by phils C5 vette View Post
Track times, an automatic will be more consistant
The automatics are also faster. Ronnie Sox, greatest driver on Earth with a 4 speed eventually switched to an automatic. With the exception of Pro Stock, all of your professionals run Powerglides, 2 speed autos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Well, in the quarter mile, automatics don't have the human factor of a possible missed shift.

As for your warranty, yes, running an aftermarket tune will likely void any warranty on your engine and drivetrain. You have just given GM an excuse to claim that the tune is what caused the failure. I don't know how much wiggle room the local service department has with something like that, but I sure wouldn't want to chance it if I valued the warranty.
I have had my own tune since the car had 2,000 miles on it and warranty work has never been an issue. That's simply a function of a tuneup. Now if you bump the rev limiter to 7500 and blow the engine that may be a problem.

GM installed a new PCM in my car and ASKED ME to change the gearing in the PCM to 3.42 and to change the torque converter lockup to 55 MPH. The request came right out of GM engineering Thur.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2010, 12:53 PM   #9
Mark Dalton

Name : Mark Dalton
Mark Dalton has disabled reputation

IMHO, running at the track definitely favors the auto. If I were setting up a car to run brackets I'd want the auto every time. Fun factor goes to the manual.
Mark Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2010, 04:28 PM   #10
road pilot

Name :
road pilot has disabled reputation

In the era when a auto meant a 2 spd powerglide the 4 speed was king.
Today with modern electonics the modern auto is the way to go. Yes,
old school learns or you come in second. And the old powerglide has
been improved and it has become a winner as well.
road pilot is offline   Reply With Quote