The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Classifieds and Commercial Sponsors > Classifieds - Corvettes, Parts & Accessories

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Classifieds - Corvettes, Parts & Accessories Sales | Wanteds | Sources | Advice For Buying or Selling

Unread 12-13-2006, 06:03 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default Buying a new vette....

I remember the old days when you could look at a list of options for a new car, and pick and choose EXACTLY which ones you want. Matter of fact, I believe this was the case when I bought my Jeep Wrangler back at the end of 1997. Bigger gas tank, better rear end ratio gearing, a/c (yes or no), etc.,etc..... Not so with the vettes. You have limited options, all offered in "packages". Want heads up display? Well you can get it but it has to be with the other stuff in a $5,000 package (3LT) that may not care about, much less WANT, at all. Heated seats? Well yeah, here in Florida you MAY use them a few times, but certainly not something I would voluntarily pay extra for.

I can understand where this sort of arrangement is much easier on the dealers and GM, but man, whatever happened to giving the CUSTOMER what they want instead? Why force that other stuff down their throats in order for them to get what they really want in their new car?

So rather than have to pay for all that other stuff, we will just do without those few things that would be NICE to have, but not kill us to be without. We are only looking at the 1LT base package and to heck with the optionals.

Looking at a Silver Coupe, auto transmission 1LT for right around $40K. That's a BRAND new '07! Shipping will be extra, of course, since I can't get near that price from a local dealer, but we will still come out way ahead even considering the shipping expense. Just about ready to pull the trigger on this one..........
Attached Images

Unread 12-13-2006, 06:07 PM   #2
ynkedad
Wassup!!!

Name :
ynkedad will become famous soon enough
Default Sa Weeeeeeeeet

Good luck!
Is Connie going to become a member of the forum? Or is she already?

~Ray
Unread 12-13-2006, 06:47 PM   #3
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynkedad
Good luck!
Is Connie going to become a member of the forum? Or is she already?

~Ray
Connie doesn't DO computers.......... Besides, she is afraid I might ban her because of her shenanigans.... She says she is "computer illegitimate"... whatever that means....
Unread 12-13-2006, 07:09 PM   #4
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

That's great Rich! I see your logic on the whole option thing. I think most manufacturers are going the package route. It stinks.

Why don't you spend the extra dough and do the whole museum delivery? I think the experience would be worth it.

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2006, 08:33 PM   #5
Rich Z

Maybe someday we'll do the museum delivery, but not this time, unfortunately. I want to take delivery before the end of the year, so things have to be done this way.

I was really trying to get a deal through Kerbeck in New Jersey. That would have worked out great to fly up to Jersey and drive back with the new car, visiting Connie's family in Delaware along the way.

New Hampshire is just TOO far away for this time of year. Plus I have NO desire to drive through New York at all. Many moons ago I had to drive to Boston from Maryland and I did not care for driving through New York at all.
Unread 12-13-2006, 08:39 PM   #6
2Vettes

Name :
2Vettes is on a distinguished road

Nice looking vette, Rich. Good luck with the deal.
Unread 12-13-2006, 08:42 PM   #7
Rich Z

Connie likes the chrome wheels instead of the painted ones, but sheesh, GM wants $1800 for that option! Figuring on what the original wheels are likely worth if you were to sell them, I'm figuring on GM thinking their chrome wheels are worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $2400+ if bought outright. No way, Jose!

I'm thinking that when the first set of tires need to be replaced, we'll look at some aftermarket wheels and get a whole lot more bang for the buck that way.

Now I personally like the heads up display and wish I could get it unbundled, but such just is not the case. Maybe sometime down the road I'll see how much having a HUD put in would cost. It looks like the dash panel just has a cover over the slot where the HUD would do, so at least it wouldn't have to be cut to put one in. If that option had been in the 2LT package I might have gone for that. But NOT for $5K, I'm afraid.
Unread 12-13-2006, 08:46 PM   #8
thebeepster
truth seeker

Name :
thebeepster has disabled reputation

Congrats on the new ride! Agree with your thoughts on the options (packages). It seems like the only thing you are really giving up is the HUD as everything else can be added later (aftermarket). A friend of mine added his own NAV with backup camera! Really slick and looks like factory installation. He can also watch movies....You will love the C6!!!
thebeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2006, 08:53 PM   #9
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeepster
Congrats on the new ride! Agree with your thoughts on the options (packages). It seems like the only thing you are really giving up is the HUD as everything else can be added later (aftermarket). A friend of mine added his own NAV with backup camera! Really slick and looks like factory installation. He can also watch movies....You will love the C6!!!
So are you saying that the HUD can't be added later on? I would bet that some of these guys on this site with shops could do ANYTHING...
Unread 12-13-2006, 10:09 PM   #10
2Vettes

Name :
2Vettes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
So are you saying that the HUD can't be added later on? I would bet that some of these guys on this site with shops could do ANYTHING...
Rich, I'm thinking the windshield is different on HUD cars...?? Don't know that for a fact, but I've got the HUD on mine and I thought someone told me that....