The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 07-28-2010, 09:16 PM   #1
SGAL1
Old School

Name :
SGAL1 has disabled reputation
Default New to me C3

Well I traded my 95 C4 for this 1981 C3.
My first two Corvettes were C4's (1989 & 1995)
This is my 1st C3 because I have loved Corvettes my whole life.
So I feel like a newbie here, but I guess I am just new to have a C3.
Anyway...my question is this...
I am trying to research my VIN # and I'm comming up with nothing.
Carfax recoqnized the VIN# correctly as a 1981 Corvette but had zero information, and I mean zero information further than that?
When I paid the $$ for the carfax I got a red paragraph telling me they had no information on my car. How is that possible?

The guy I traded with was sort of local (south florida) and only had this car for a couple of months becuase he traded his 69 GTO for it and I guess it wasn't what he was looking for. So he didn't have any information on the original owner. Could it be that the original owner did his own work on the car and never took it to the dealer? Is that why I can't find any information on my VIN? I have done a bunch of online searches looking for any info on "my" new to me C3 and I'm comming up with zero. Any suggestions? Here is a picture I took of my new baby last week.
#'s matching, all pretty much stock except for the Hooker headers, true dual Flowmaster exhaust, and a new carb. Sounds awesome!!
VIN # 1G1AY8767B5108751
Thanks for taking the time to read my post....Scott

SGAL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

First and foremost, to the forum

Kick your shoes off, relax and stay a spell.
It's a a great group of very knowledgeable and local people here, always willing to help.

The car is beautiful. Great color

As for the Carfax, they only report, what is reported to them through thier purchasing power.

If a car never had an insurance claim, an accident and was never Lemon Lawed, they won't have much to report.
Unlike a dealerships OASIS report, Carfax is at times "iffy."

It could well be that as you mentioned, the owner did all his own work.
Even if the car had been totalled in a non-reported crash, if there was no claim, there would be no record, and thus, no Carfax.

Welcome aboard

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 08:04 AM   #3
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road

This might help a little...... keep in mind that the Corvette Black Book says that the 9th character is a security code and varies, now here goes it's a valid vin indicating a production in Bowling Green, KY, engine is a SB 350 producing 190HP.
A total of 40,606 coupes were mfg'd at either bowling Green (yours was) or St Louis. Bowling Green produced it's first Vette on June 1, 1981.

If can offer more assistance just let me know.

Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGAL1 View Post
Well I traded my 95 C4 for this 1981 C3.
My first two Corvettes were C4's (1989 & 1995)
This is my 1st C3 because I have loved Corvettes my whole life.
So I feel like a newbie here, but I guess I am just new to have a C3.
Anyway...my question is this...
I am trying to research my VIN # and I'm comming up with nothing.
Carfax recoqnized the VIN# correctly as a 1981 Corvette but had zero information, and I mean zero information further than that?
When I paid the $$ for the carfax I got a red paragraph telling me they had no information on my car. How is that possible?

The guy I traded with was sort of local (south florida) and only had this car for a couple of months becuase he traded his 69 GTO for it and I guess it wasn't what he was looking for. So he didn't have any information on the original owner. Could it be that the original owner did his own work on the car and never took it to the dealer? Is that why I can't find any information on my VIN? I have done a bunch of online searches looking for any info on "my" new to me C3 and I'm comming up with zero. Any suggestions? Here is a picture I took of my new baby last week.
#'s matching, all pretty much stock except for the Hooker headers, true dual Flowmaster exhaust, and a new carb. Sounds awesome!!
VIN # 1G1AY8767B5108751
Thanks for taking the time to read my post....Scott

Unread 07-29-2010, 09:02 AM   #4
SGAL1
Old School

Name :
SGAL1 has disabled reputation

Thanks guys...I appreciate your help.
Is there any way you can tell if it is a Florida car or how many owners it has had? I'm not really concerned with who the previous owners were, but it would be kind of nice to know if I'm the third or twenty third owner, or if this has been a Florida car. Just curious I guess.
Thanks again for the warm welcome and I do appreciate your information guys. This will be a fun rolling project and I'm really happy with it so far.
SGAL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 09:23 AM   #5
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road

I think finding the linage of ownership will be tough. If she came with no papers it's gonna be a tuffy to do. Chevrolet has (or had) a Customer Assistance Center in Troy Michigan (I've looked for the phone number but can't find it). You could call them and request a "Past Model Information and Specification packet" As of about 2 years ago they would send it to you for free. They did for my 72.

Other members of this forum might be able to help along these lines and you might also visit the C3 Registry on the net.

Glad to have you here and nice Vette by the way.

Ken
Unread 07-29-2010, 09:48 AM   #6
fletcher4u

Name : Bob Fletcher
fletcher4u has disabled reputation

The National Corvette Museum can supply you with a window sticker and a build sheet . The sticker will have the selling dealer listed. Welcome to the club!!
fletcher4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 10:36 AM   #7
Shadow

Name :
Shadow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGAL1 View Post
Thanks guys...I appreciate your help.
Is there any way you can tell if it is a Florida car or how many owners it has had? I'm not really concerned with who the previous owners were, but it would be kind of nice to know if I'm the third or twenty third owner, or if this has been a Florida car. Just curious I guess.
Thanks again for the warm welcome and I do appreciate your information guys. This will be a fun rolling project and I'm really happy with it so far.
You have a PM.

Remember:
Artificial Intelligence is no replacement for Natural Stupidity!

Be Polite, Be Professional...and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 10:16 AM   #8
Ashur Conrad
Editor CorvetteMafia News

Name : Ashur Conrad
Ashur Conrad has disabled reputation

Great car, congrats.

-Ashur
Unread 08-01-2010, 05:20 PM   #9
Melsy

Name :
Melsy has disabled reputation

Looks like a very nice car. I had a new Red '81 in the day. Recommend you go to <www.helminc.com> and get a factory service manual. The '81 had lots of improvements with the only achilles heel being the computer controlled carb. BTW, the rocker panels should be all black. Contact me back channel with any questions--<melsy@bellsouth.net> I am only a couple hours South of you in Delray Beach and belonged to Space Coast Vettes for many years when I was stationed at Patrick AFB.
Melsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 06:00 PM   #10
raidmagic

Name : Steve
raidmagic has disabled reputation

Welcome to the site. Don't sweat Carfax having nothing on it you won't find my car on there either. Everything that's been done to it has been done by me. Maybe the PO of your car did all his own stuff as well.
raidmagic is offline   Reply With Quote