The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 06-09-2009, 08:45 PM   #1
lilitaly11

Name :
lilitaly11 has disabled reputation
Default The day is finally here...few questions please help

Ok well after getting rear ended and totaling out my car,it is now time to become a Corvette owner. I just have a few questions and need some opinions on some things.

First do you miss out on driving a "Vette" by getting an auto. My wife doesnt want stick and Im moving to Boca where there is a ton of traffic. Will i regret an auto? Is it just as fast?

Second on a 2005 auto can you change out the shifter. The thing is hideous, I like the 2006 one or anything different.

Third does any have seat covers? Do they fit well? What did you get them from.

Lastly any info or thoughts you want to give are welcome, I have been waiting months for a Vette and I think I finally found one and now that my car is done things have fallen into place.

Thanks
lilitaly11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2009, 07:24 AM   #2
Pres712
Pres712

Name : Jim Hildebrand
Pres712 is on a distinguished road
Default Some answers

First of all don't got automatic!!! After my last divorce I traded my '69 for a brand new '86. At the time I was 46 years old and thought my days of driving a "stick" were over. Bought an auto. Six months later I was sorry. A Corvette is supposed to have three pedals, not two. I still have the '86 cause we have a history but when I bought my new wife her '03 both of us insisted on a "stick". Never regretted it! But then I don't have a problem with traffic; shifting is "automatic" to me.

Pleanty of seat covers at Eckler's or Mid-America.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Pres712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2009, 07:50 AM   #3
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

Well if ya plan on keeping the wife longer than the car get an auto .If ya don't like the 05 shifter get an 06.Auto isn't the end of the world 2/3rds are auto.

As a safety note GM Junkie installed a blinking center break light .When you break the outside lights stay on while the center light flashes.I travel interstate 4 a lot and it's saved my azz a few times.

Moving to Boca I assume your bi lingual .Best wishes on your move and car
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
lilitaly11

Name :

Pres - I hear ya, I am just having a problem finding a car with stick in my price range at the current time and I need a car within a week or 2. So when you sit in bumper to bumper traffic everyday for an hour or two its still not a big problem for you?

Vette Boy - So you can swap out the ugly top part of the 05 shifter for an 06?

Also where can I get this break light from?

And no I only speak english, so life if going to be very frustrating at time.

Thank You
Unread 06-10-2009, 07:14 PM   #5
Mannings

Name : Rick Manning
Mannings is on a distinguished road

The way I look at it buying a stick will give you more seat time

Enjoy your vette.
Mannings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #6
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

Look up under members ,GM Junkie fixed me up with the blinker tail light and he might know for sure on the shifter swap.I'd send Junkie a PM.

No matter what good luck
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2009, 10:57 PM   #7
98 softtail
Bug Killer

Name :
98 softtail will become famous soon enough98 softtail will become famous soon enough

Here's my take on auto "V" stick.....

We have 2 C5's, one 6speed, the other Auto.

The auto is a more relaxed, sit back and drive for the most part. Easy driving during traffic, but when it's time to get down to business, the auto does it's job.

The 6speed is the shifter car... at any given time it is ready to go, downshift and hit the gas.....you are gone..baby...gone...

Joe B.
98 softtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2009, 11:50 PM   #8
LS2POWA
Team Afterhours Member

Name : Corey Metz
LS2POWA is on a distinguished road

If you get a C6 with the paddle shifter 06+, trust me you can get the same feeling of driving a manual without the hassle of a clutch in stop an go traffic. Ive said it before and Ill say it again. During testing of the new A6 trans compared to the M6 car, the A6 was only .2sec slower. If you go to the c6 forced induction section over at corvette forum youll see guys in Z06 swapping out their manual trans for a automatic. Its more consistent, you never have to worry about missing a gear, or throwing it into the wrong gear. Nothing like hearing the sound of slammin it down from 5th to 2nd.

I used to be a die hard manual kinda guy till unfortunate accident. After owning my A6 for almost two years, I def dont mind not driving manual specially in a daily driver vette.

STAY AWAY from 2005 models. They were the most common to have problems, 2006 most were worked out, and 2007 they didnt have any worth worrying.
Unread 06-11-2009, 11:35 AM   #9
lilitaly11

Name :

LS2 - What is wrong with an 05? Anything in particular to watch out for? The car Im looking at has 30k so should be in pretty good shape. I was thinkin the same thing being its the first model year of the C6 but i havent really read anything about problems in the 05. I would love an 06 but it deff out of pricerange.

Does anyone else think 05 are bad news?
Unread 06-11-2009, 12:37 PM   #10
THOR

Name :
THOR will become famous soon enough

Corey is correct. There were more problems with 2005 being the intro year for the C6. My 2007 has had minor negligible problems and has performed flawlessly. You have two groups of die hards and both think they're right regarding manual vs. auto. I love my paddle shifts and its fast enough for me. It's hard to eat ice cream in the vette with a stick!! . But you got to go with what feels good to you.
THOR is offline   Reply With Quote