The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 06-03-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Default The rains are back in north Florida.

Good heavens, with no rain for the past 5 days I was beginning to think I was living in a desert. The road even dried up enough for us to take out one of the vettes on Sunday. Guess that's over with for a while now....
Unread 06-03-2009, 08:41 PM   #2
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I went down the road by your house Monday evening and noticed how nicely it had dried up on either side of your driveway Rich. Are they planning on paving your road in the near future? I went out today to mow my lawn and got rained out after 15 minutes! We got about a half inch in 20 minutes! A little over an inch and a half so far today.
Unread 06-03-2009, 09:20 PM   #3
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
Yeah, I went down the road by your house Monday evening and noticed how nicely it had dried up on either side of your driveway Rich. Are they planning on paving your road in the near future? I went out today to mow my lawn and got rained out after 15 minutes! We got about a half inch in 20 minutes! A little over an inch and a half so far today.
Well, we've been talking to the roads department quite a bit. Not sure the country has any money for paving, and we certainly aren't going to donate that large chunk of land to them. A while back they asked if we would be willing to donate a 50 foot wide easement through our property and we told them HELL NO! Of course, that might be why they dumped that mud coincidentally just on both sides of OUR driveway.

They were supposed to come out this week to take a stab at fixing the problem. Best thing they could do is to just scrape off that crap they laid down on the road (to stabilize it) and leave the sand so water will percolate down through it rapidly. The put this clay like river mud on it and now it holds water for days.

Hopefully the road will be dried up next Monday, because I need to run it out to Xtreme that morning. Not really willing to take a vette mud bogging....
Unread 06-03-2009, 09:42 PM   #4
Scavanger

Name :
Scavanger is on a distinguished road

They now need to put a good layer of gravel on the clay, that will make a nice solid road.

Scav.
Scavanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2009, 12:20 AM   #5
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scavanger View Post
They now need to put a good layer of gravel on the clay, that will make a nice solid road.

Scav.
I'm not really sure I want stones picked up in my treads and then thrown against the underside of my cars. Plus if it's anything like the gravel roads I've seen in the national forest, they are dusty as hell with a fine white dust that sticks to everything.

If the road is going to remain unpaved, I prefer to just have it sand.
Unread 06-04-2009, 11:10 AM   #6
floridaZ

Name :
floridaZ has disabled reputation

Ugh, I remember having a clay road. If it rained hard enough we could have our own little ecosystem there. The water would go into our front yard and about an hour after it started raining there would be fish swimming around. They eventually took most of the clay out, leveled everything, and paved it. So I feel you pain man.
floridaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2009, 12:00 PM   #7
Rich Z

Sheesh.... I think they are just trying to piss us off. They sent a grader today, so what did he do? Scraped the road down and has it shaped like a V with basically a trench down the middle of the road. There is a large hump right at the entrance way to our driveway. So now if we get a heavy rain, we aren't going to have the ponds we have on both sides of our driveway. Nope. Now we will have a RIVER where the road used to be.

Looks like some rain heading this way, so I'll get some pics of it when the river fills up.

Seriously, can they really be THAT lame brained? Does it take a rocket scientist to figure out that a road has to be elevated, higher in the center slightly so water will run OFF of the road instead of stay on it?
Unread 06-04-2009, 01:26 PM   #8
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Sheesh.... I think they are just trying to piss us off. They sent a grader today, so what did he do? Scraped the road down and has it shaped like a V with basically a trench down the middle of the road. There is a large hump right at the entrance way to our driveway. So now if we get a heavy rain, we aren't going to have the ponds we have on both sides of our driveway. Nope. Now we will have a RIVER where the road used to be.

Looks like some rain heading this way, so I'll get some pics of it when the river fills up.

Seriously, can they really be THAT lame brained? Does it take a rocket scientist to figure out that a road has to be elevated, higher in the center slightly so water will run OFF of the road instead of stay on it?

Ask your County Commisioner to come out and look at it if Road and Bridge can't fix it. It looked like you had low spots on either side of your driveway. They probably need a couple more loads of dirt in there....
Unread 06-04-2009, 01:59 PM   #9
Rich Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85vette View Post
Ask your County Commisioner to come out and look at it if Road and Bridge can't fix it. It looked like you had low spots on either side of your driveway. They probably need a couple more loads of dirt in there....
Not dirt. Sand. They can't use anything that becomes mud when it rains. If they scrape all that crap they laid down there and just have sand in the road, the rain won't be an issue at all. It used to be that way and even with the heaviest rains, the water would percolate down through the sand in about a half hour at most. Now it holds water for days.
Unread 06-06-2009, 11:05 PM   #10
Rich Z

I took some video clips of my road showing some before and after shots. The "before" shows muddy ponds in the road on both sides of my driveway. The "after" shows a pretty effective trench with fairly steep sloped sides. Nice of them to pile mud right at the entranceway of my driveway... With that and the steep slope of our trench road, just no way we would be able to get the vettes out without scraping somewhere on the car.

Good news is that my email to one of the county commissioners evidently lit a fire under some people. They are going to be out Monday morning to fix the problem.