The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > Florida Specific Forums > General Florida Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Florida Discussions Anything related to Florida in general. From "natives" talking about things they know about, to visitors asking about details to make their visit more pleasant.

Unread 02-25-2011, 04:06 PM   #1
C6Flatfoot

Name :
C6Flatfoot has disabled reputation
Angry Pump prices around Florida..

How much is gas today where you are?

Cape Canaveral Raceway..$3.28 gal reg - $3.65 diesel. I didn't get a look at premium but it is usually .25 higher than regular.

This Mid-East BS is going to hurt and I'm sure the oil companies and local stations will be gouging us all!
Unread 02-25-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
C6Flatfoot

Name :
C6Flatfoot has disabled reputation
Angry

As a sidenote, yesterday, I was talking with my neighbor who returned from a vacation in Italy last week, and gas was $11.00 US per gallon!
Unread 02-25-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

I paid 3.18 in up-state New Hampshire at a Gulf Station .My son made a run down to new Jersey and said he paid 3.61 for diesel .

So what makes ya think the price is getting stuffed up our azz ? Libya is still pumping oil at 70% and the bulk of our fuel /oil is from North America .
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
thebeepster
truth seeker

Name :
thebeepster has disabled reputation

Can't really figure out why but gas in Jax is higher than Central FL or Tampa Bay...regular $3.39 today! Traditionally, gas prices have been about 8-10 cents per gal higher here

Been to the grocery store lately?? or received you bill for medical insurance? Take heart tho cause our gubmint tells us that there is NO inflation
thebeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeepster View Post
Can't really figure out why but gas in Jax is higher than Central FL or Tampa Bay...regular $3.39 today! Traditionally, gas prices have been about 8-10 cents per gal higher here

Been to the grocery store lately?? or received you bill for medical insurance? Take heart tho cause our gubmint tells us that there is NO inflation
You hit that nail right on the head. The actual *true* cost of things is not really going up, it's the value of your dollars dropping like a rock. The government can't just print up money without severe consequences. When push comes to shove, money is really only worth what someone is willing to trade you for it. So what is really happening is people are telling us that they need more of that paper for the commodities they have for sale, because the paper is just flat out worth less to them.

Modest inflation is actually a benefit to an economy because it can spur spending. Let's face it, if your money is going to be worth less tomorrow than it is today, it makes sense to get rid of it and buy something now before it costs you more tomorrow. Unfortunately, the theory of "if a little is good, a LOT is better" really does not apply in this case, which appears to be what the government is trying out. History has shown us what happens in this scenario, so I guess it is unfortunate that they haven't paid attention in history class.
Unread 02-25-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
Bob K
Deceased

Name : Bob Korreck
Bob K has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by C6Flatfoot View Post
How much is gas today where you are?

Cape Canaveral Raceway..$3.28 gal reg - $3.65 diesel. I didn't get a look at premium but it is usually .25 higher than regular.

This Mid-East BS is going to hurt and I'm sure the oil companies and local stations will be gouging us all!
I saw $3.35 for regular and drove down the street and it was $3.45. I think diesel was $3.65. That was today.

Wasn't it less than 2 years ago that the price dropped dramatically when our usage dropped a little? The latest figures I can find indicate the US imports 51% of our petroleum products.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 07:57 PM   #7
als2052
Road Trip!

Name :
als2052 is on a distinguished road

Grab your socks cause its only going to get worse....Thanks to the Gadfly...
Unread 02-25-2011, 09:49 PM   #8
85vette

Name :
85vette will become famous soon enough

Diesel went from $3.43 to $3.65 overnight here!?%$^#
Unread 02-25-2011, 10:08 PM   #9
mickeystoysz16
I have stripes

Name :
mickeystoysz16 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeepster View Post
There is a really specific explantion. That is so the government does not have to pay cost of living adjustments on social security benifts because the annual adjusments are indexed to the "core" Consumer Price Index or CPI. CPI is the traditional measure of inflation. However, back in the early '80's Congress decided to exclude the more volitile food and energy component of the CPI that fluctuated over a very short time period as a way to keep from having to recalculat SSI payments on a monthly basis and potentially have to pay out more each month. So they came up with the "core" CPI (currently at 2.5% of GDP) which is of course much less than the "real" or acutal rate of inflation(estimated at 3.5% or more of GDP). This "real" rate of inflation is only half of the equation that Rich refers to in the value of the dollar being worth less and hard assets and commodities worth more. However, that does not explain WHY? The difference between core CPI and the real CPI rate is due to the calculation of cost of living adjustment to SSI with no credit given against the liablity to future beneficiaries AND is at the expense of current benefit recipients. Most people don't know this because based on the above government definition there is no ADDED benefit for either current or future benficiaries because there, "is no inflation".

Now to address the gasoline issue. As I am a student of the financial markets, (and if that last paragrapgh didn't convince you I don't know what will ), I will give you my analysis. First off you do not put crude oil in your tank, so that is only the raw material input cost component of gas. The major integrated oil companies are profiting billions, yet the refiners are almost broke, so that is telling me the refiners are eating the majority of the cost increases of oil and passing on only a fraction of the input costs to customers.

Therefore; this analysis leads me to believe the following:

From my data stream provider shows that today's (2/25/2011) closing price of wholesale gasoline is:

RBOB GASOLINE $2.7395 0.0228+ 0.84%

So if FL state ave is about $3.18 minus $2.7395 is a difference of about $0.4405.

For most convience store owners, the profit margin is so thin at $0.009 most consider it a loss leader to get you to by alcohol and cigarettes. That leaves $0.43 as the gas tax. .43 divided by 2.7395 is a 16% tax on gas more than double the regular 7% sales tax rate.

Thus ending the economics lesson for today.
2004 Z06 Corvette Z16 Commemorative Edition #770
2004 Silverado LS 5.3L SWB
1969 Camaro SS RS 396/350HP TH400

Members I have met:
LEJ_ZO6, JCB_NJB, als2052, Phil @ Tampa Tuning, Riceman, C5CHICK, Kap142

Last edited by mickeystoysz16; 02-25-2011 at 10:39 PM.
mickeystoysz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2011, 07:11 AM   #10
Bob K
Deceased

Name : Bob Korreck
Bob K has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoysz16 View Post
Thus ending the economics lesson for today.
What did you say?
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote