The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > Movie Reviews

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Movie Reviews As requested! This forum might save us some $$ on movies that should have been left on the cutting room floor...

Unread 01-05-2009, 12:55 AM   #1
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough
Thumbs down Pan's Labyrinth

Damn I hate getting suckered.......

I read reviews about this movie and they were generally positive, although more of a kiddie flick then I normally like. But supposedly the video and audio was top notch, and able to wring out a Blu-Ray home theater system pretty well. So I figured if I ever saw it for sale at a decent price, I would pick up a copy. Which finally did happen.

So the other night, I broke open the wrapper and Connie and I sat down to watch it..... Hmm, I must have made the wrong selection in the setup because he vocals were in Spanish.......... Hmmmmmmmm, where the heck do I change it to English? WTH??? The vocals only COME in Spanish in this movie???

Yeppers......

So this is where the "suckered" feeling comes in. Tell me, if you picked up a movie and all the text was in English, front and back, would you think there was any reason at all to look closely at the very small print on the back where it says that the audio is "SPANISH 7.1 SURROUND SOUND"? Would you think that such a detail such as this SHOULD be indicated boldly on the front of the disk cover that this movie has the audio track entirely in SPANISH, with no English track at all?

So I went back and checked those reviews I had read. They STILL have rave reviews about the flick, and in only one instance at all do I see even a slight mention in passing about the Spanish audio track.

So, have I just lost my mind? The fact that the movie audio is in Spanish, and you have to read printed subtitles to know what is going on is OK for most people? Yeah, maybe the video is great but if you are busy reading the text, how would you know? Maybe the letters look great?

Well, no matter how cheaply I got this movie, it's a complete waste to me. I want a movie for entertainment, and this would not be entertaining at all. Matter of fact, it would be distracting and aggravating.

And I feel like I was purposely sucker punched by the people selling this movie in that they made no effort whatsoever to warn a prospective buyer that regardless of all the text being in English, the audio will be incomprehensible unless you understand Spanish. Heck, the blurb on the front stating "The Best Film of the Year" by Stephen King, Entertainment Weekly certainly doesn't give you any clue that Mr. King likes to watch movies with printed subtitles.

I dunno, but I hope this isn't something that is going to catch on. I've got enough to think about without having to scrutinize a movie with a magnifying glass to make certain that the sound track is in English, or some other "gotcha" is lurking to snag my wallet.

Anyway, if you have any sort of interest in this movie, BEWARE of this little snag that you most likely were not aware of.

Unread 01-05-2009, 11:12 AM   #2
navy2kcoupe
!ereH nI depparT m'I pleH

Location: 25 miles south of Boston, MA. Also have a house in Dunedin FL.
Name : Andy Anderson
navy2kcoupe has disabled reputation

No wonder DVD sales and CD sales are going down the dumpster!
My new mantra is "If it ain't free, it ain't me!
Andy
VIETNAM VETERANS CORVETTE CLUB - FOUNDING MEMBER #1
https://sites.google.com/site/vietna...scorvetteclub/
navy2kcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2009, 07:09 PM   #3
grumpyvette
retired mech engineer

Name :
grumpyvette has disabled reputation

yeah! I bought the movie,in the recently watched/used bin, and took it back to the store to complain that the damn thing was only in spanish thinking rather logically I THOUGHT that someone had swaped versions, only to be told...tought buddy,... no returns and its only in spanish...............
needless to say I was not really pleased and told them I will no longer deal with that store.....he smiled and said , yeah! well were closing the doors permenantly at the end of the month anyway due to lack of proffits
grumpyvette is offline   Reply With Quote