The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > General BS forum

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General BS forum I guess this will be for anything that would seem to be off topic in any other forum here. Just general shootin' the breeze kind of topics.

Unread 06-25-2008, 07:40 AM   #1
Tommy T-Bone

Name :
Tommy T-Bone has disabled reputation
Default Jury Duty

Jury duty... Do you like it or hate it? I've been called about 6 times over 29 years. I used to resist being picked for a jury by giving opinionated responses. This time I just let the chips fall where they may and I was selected for the jury. It was a short trial with only two witnesses on a concealed weapons / firearm serial number alteration case. It was a long day and we got released about 9:00 PM. Unfortunately, the 22 year old defendant won't be going home for quite a long time.

Last edited by Tommy T-Bone; 06-25-2008 at 09:19 AM.
Tommy T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2008, 08:07 AM   #2
MADN3SS

Name :
MADN3SS is on a distinguished road

I have only been called once in 18 years and never made it onto a jury. As the cases were plea bargained, they didn't need me. I don't think I would give opinionated responses, but if it was a criminal case, I can't imagine being called. I was a victim of a violent crime in 1995.

I was robbed at gun point at an ATM. The kids were really young, but were on a vicious crime spree that week. The four of them had stolen 18 cars and committed 3 armed robberies. Two 14 year olds and a 15 year old. And better yet, the driver of the car was...drumroll...11! The 3 older kids got 5-6 years in the State Pen, but the younger one, who was the youngest inmate in the Hillsborough County jail ever, got 2 years probation and 2 years house arrest. Needless to say he was in and out of jail quite a bit after that.

'01 QS Corsa Touring exhaust with Tiger Shark tips. LG LT headers with X-Pipe, Hurricane intake w/ CF HF Power Duct, L.E.D. tail lights and shorty antenna. Lowered on stock bolts. Black Motorsports. FRC TOM tuned. NCM member 36741
MADN3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2008, 09:23 AM   #3
gsdave
engineer

Name :
gsdave is on a distinguished road

I got called on average 1-1.5 times a year while I lived in Pensacola. If they had only called me a few times over the years, I would probably not have the distaste I have for it now. Being called and required to sit in a stuffy room for 8 hours while they figure out whether or not they need me while I fall further behind at work is not my idea of fun.

On the other hand, I realize and agree that this is something that is very important in our country and should be taken seriously.
gsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2008, 10:34 AM   #4
Rich427
'69 Vert/'01 Vert/'04 Z16

Name :
Rich427 is on a distinguished road

I was a resident of Lee County for just a few months when last year I got called. Although amazed that they got me that quickly I consider it one of my duties to participate in a process that, admittedly is not perfect.

The trial that I participated in was a criminal trial against a 16 year old male (being tried as an adult) for the possession of cocaine (23 dime bags) with the intent to distribute within 1000 feet of a public housing project, possession of a small amount of pot (two small bags), and resisting arrest without violence (ran from the police and tracked down by K9). I assume the reference to the housing project carries a stiffer penalty, but we were not told that. I also assumed that the police anticipated a potential problem with their arrest warrant, since they dispatched multiple cars, plus a K9 unit to arrest the young man.

It was really an open and shut case. The defense did not put up a defense. There position was that the prosecution did not meet the burden of proof on any of the three counts. If the defendant was bright enough (which if he had been he would not have been in the situation he was in) he would have filed a malpractice suit against his two attorneys! The trial took about two hours, and we deliberated for about 15 minutes. The kid was convicted on all three counts. Not sure what his sentence was since the jury was excused immediately after the verdict was read, but I am assuming he had been in trouble with the law for some time, since the states attorneys tried him as an adult.

I also was amazed how hard other members of the jury pool worked to get themselves excused from serving on this trial. I do realize that there are some people that have legitimate excuses, but if you would have listened to some of the testimony of the members of the jury pool, it would have amazed you. Maybe I am in the minority, but we cannot expect just our law enforcement to work to get the "bad guys" off the streets. They only have a charter to enforce the law by arresting the bad guys. We have an obligation to help as well. That's our process. If we don't do our part, we really do not have the right to complain about the local LEOs and their ability to clean up the streets. The LEOs have to go out and do this everyday, the system only calls upon the citizens to participate in the process on a few occasions. And if people recognized the importance of this element of the process, it would come around even less.

Sorry, just my opinion!

Rich

2014 Z51 7 Speed Convertible
Laguna Blue/Grey/Grey
Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2008, 01:13 PM   #5
Yellow

Name :
Yellow is on a distinguished road

It does not matter, if you get called it is your duty to go.

...02 Coupe...03 GSXR 600
garage mates...99 SC Coupe.....07 Z06
Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2008, 02:59 PM   #6
Tommy T-Bone

Name :
Tommy T-Bone has disabled reputation

I don't see anything to be sorry about Rich.
Tommy T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2008, 03:56 PM   #7
LS2POWA
Team Afterhours Member

Name : Corey Metz
LS2POWA is on a distinguished road

I remember getting called into jury duty...sat in a room with 20 other people waiting to be called. Three hours later they came in an said numbers x to xx are not needed sorry. As much as i hated my job at the time i actually wished i could have been at work. Couldnt sleep cause of certain people who think you have to talk into a cell phone like theyre talking to someone in the roman coliseum. if it wasnt for the smiley faced stress balls they gave us, i prolly would have been choking one of them.

I hope i never get called again...unless im actually gonna be used.
Unread 06-25-2008, 04:37 PM   #8
jcb_njb

Name : Jim Brackett
jcb_njb is on a distinguished road

with alot of what Rich says. When I see the summons I say no not again, but I go and if called I will serve on a jury and I'll do the best I can. It is after all only one day. I hear alot of people telling other people how they are going to get out of serving on a jury.

The only issue I have here in Broward County is that I have been called 3 times in the last 4 years, but I know alot of people who have never been called. If they have a DL then they should be in the pool and called before I am called again.
jcb_njb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2008, 05:09 PM   #9
Rich427

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy T-Bone View Post
I don't see anything to be sorry about Rich.
Thanks T-Bone!

Laguna Blue/Grey/Grey
Unread 06-25-2008, 05:15 PM   #10
Rich427

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb_njb View Post
with alot of what Rich says. When I see the summons I say no not again, but I go and if called I will serve on a jury and I'll do the best I can. It is after all only one day. I hear alot of people telling other people how they are going to get out of serving on a jury.

The only issue I have here in Broward County is that I have been called 3 times in the last 4 years, but I know alot of people who have never been called. If they have a DL then they should be in the pool and called before I am called again.
Hey Jim,

I am not sure what database list they use. Like I said earlier, I was only a legal resident of Florida for a matter of months, when I got the notice, but I don't know whether it was from the drivers license database or voters registration. When I became a legal resident I did both at the same time, so I don't know which one got me.

I do realize that there are some legitimate reasons why some people cannot participate, but of the approximately 60 people that were in the jury pool for the trial that I was involved in, I would say 40 - 45 had bogus and/or lame excuses and just did not want to be bothered. I wonder if they would have felt the same way if this 16 year old drug dealer was pedalling to one of their kids?

Rich

Laguna Blue/Grey/Grey