Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > The Lobby > Welcome Room

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Welcome Room Member introductions

Unread 11-16-2008, 09:18 PM   #1
lilitaly11

Name :
lilitaly11 has disabled reputation
Default Corvette Info needed prior to purchase.

I am currently trying to make a long awaited step into a the true sports car community. My questions that are delaying the process are as follows.

A big factor as in most things is money, so with that being said can you guys and gals give me some feedback on what insurance runs for a c6.

I plan on getting an 05/06 white coupe. Can you help me with some figures as to what i will be paying a month. I am a 25 year old male with a clean record.

Also just a random poll what would you recommend the auto or a stick? Can you feel the difference in power between the 2?

Thank You for your input.
lilitaly11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 10:11 PM   #2
THOR

Name :
THOR will become famous soon enough

to the Forum and good luck with your new purchase. Do your home work first and it'll be alot easier.
Insurance should run you in the ball park of $1,000/yr. give or take a 100. Asking about auto vs. stick is like asking chocolate vs.vanilla. I have an auto with paddle shifts and it suits me fine. There are many others here on the forum who swear by the stick. I would drive both and then make a decision you feel suits you best. You'll get about 1-2 mpg better with stick.
One big decision will be the suspension you want. the basic suspension is no frills and works well for lots of folks. Then there is the 51 package that is designed for racing, etc. The tires wear out faster due to softer rubber, etc. Then there is the F55 which is the magnetic suspension and can be adjusted to touring or street with a turn of a dial. I love the F55 and it suits my needs as well.
I would also suggest having a knowledgeable vette mechanic give an opinion as to the condition of the mechanical parts, etc. It'll be the best 100.00 bucks you'll spend!!!
I've given you more info than you asked for but I hope this helps.
There are several guys here like Backyard Mechanic or 98Softtail who I would trust with mechanical info.
Again good luck and show some pics when you get your new wheels.
THOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 10:49 PM   #3
Lou G

Name :
Lou G is on a distinguished road

Very good advice from Thor. I have a C6 stick and I love going through the gears.
I have the F55 suspension and wish I had not ordered it. I don't feel any difference between the two settings.
My best friend has an automatic/paddles with the Z51 option and he loves the way it rides. So, as Thor said, see if you can get a test ride and then make up your mind.
What you will pay a month is difficult to say since we don't know the price of the Vette and your down payment.
Best of luck and welcome to the forum.
Lou
Lou G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 11:59 PM   #4
Harbor Master

Name :
Harbor Master has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilitaly11 View Post
I am currently trying to make a long awaited step into a the true sports car community. My questions that are delaying the process are as follows.

A big factor as in most things is money, so with that being said can you guys and gals give me some feedback on what insurance runs for a c6.

I plan on getting an 05/06 white coupe. Can you help me with some figures as to what i will be paying a month. I am a 25 year old male with a clean record.

Also just a random poll what would you recommend the auto or a stick? Can you feel the difference in power between the 2?

First I would like to congratulate you on choosing a Corvette for your first sports car. America's Sports Car !
Now I will try to help you by answering your questions to the best of my ability.
1.-Insurance for full coverage year round. $1000.00 to $1500.00
2.-Payments, Many things factor into this figure. Cost of car,down payment,interest on loan, and term of loan.
3.-Transmission, I prefer the manual six speed. Depending on driving in your area an auto might be better
choice. They both preform well but a manual is more fun to drive
4.-I have the Z51 and love it. Many extras come with this option and there all good. If you can not get this
option the others not bad choices.

I hope I have been some help in your selection. Whatever you decide on you will love your Vette.
HUTCH
Harbor Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2008, 12:55 AM   #5
dvdcta

Name :
dvdcta has disabled reputation
Default Info

I have a 88 Z52 & love it!!!! corners flat as a pancake it's all in what ya want!! The only diff, between a, 51 & 52 is the trans. Hope that helps?
dvdcta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2008, 01:15 AM   #6
dvdcta

Name :
Default Info

Quote:

I have a auto & shift It like a stick It's a 4 speed & It'll run 90+ in 2nd gear as long as ya stand on It..........It won't shift! THAT OTTA GET YA WHOLE FIST FULL OF TICKETS!...........LOOK FOR ANOTHER PART TIME JOB!!!!.......Just a insite new....... grasshopper,...... if they bust ya for going too far over the speed limit. There gonna charge ya with a felony & take your license!......just some info from the PHANTOM!......OOOOH!.... forgot to mention I run a 200 shot of nitrous!!!
Unread 11-17-2008, 07:15 AM   #7
lilitaly11

Name :
lilitaly11 has disabled reputation

You guys must have some good agents and a long clean record. Right now i pay 77 a month for a 97 maxima with no coverage. With that cost plus initial down payment they asked for im around 1200 a year for an older, slower, non covered car.

I hope i can get full coverage for around 1500, that would be doable and speed up the buying process. If its going to be 150-200 a month its going to be pushin it as the car payment is going to be in the 400's as well.

Thanks for all the input so far.

Do any of you know what the is the biggest rear tire you can fit on the C6? How much bigger can you go with Z06 fenders?

Thanks Again
lilitaly11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2008, 11:01 AM   #8
dvdcta

Name :
Default Info

Quote:
You guys must have some good agents and a long clean record. Right now i pay 77 a month for a 97 maxima with no coverage. With that cost plus initial down payment they asked for im around 1200 a year for an older, slower, non covered car.

I hope i can get full coverage for around 1500, that would be doable and speed up the buying process. If its going to be 150-200 a month its going to be pushin it as the car payment is going to be in the 400's as well.

Thanks for all the input so far.

Do any of you know what the is the biggest rear tire you can fit on the C6? How much bigger can you go with Z06 fenders?

Thanks Again
Ya should have 315's on her now?
Unread 11-17-2008, 12:48 PM   #9
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdcta View Post
Ya should have 315's on her now?
No man. Stock for a C6 is:
285/35/19 on back
245/40/18 on fronts
Unread 11-17-2008, 01:37 PM   #10
LS2POWA
Team Afterhours Member

Name : Corey Metz
LS2POWA is on a distinguished road

I have an 07 w/A6 tranny currently its holding 607/518 to the wheels. The paddle shift function with the tune works just as good as a stick. Some big car magazine did a test and the A6 compared to the M6 was only .8sec slower(they didnt use the A6 tune either). Normally I would have gone with a manual but an accident left me with a bad ankle. To be honest though, after the tune I dont miss driving a manual, when i need to go i just push the pedal and hang on for dear life. RPM now has the Stage V A6 out as well.

Insurance wise, im 25, record was just cleaned, good student discount. Im paying 195 a month, but that covers every mod on my car, and the 300k $ coverage plan if someone tries to sue me for something. If you plan to finance might be expecting more.

Im currently running a 295 KDW2 out in the rear on stock fenders(widest they make for 19" wheels), on a 19x11 wheel. The stock Z06 19x12 with their fenders i believe run a 325 or 345 series tire. At 295 though, the oval sidewall of the tire just starts to stick out past stock c6 fender. Not noticable unless someone is yelling and pointing it out like you won the lottery.