The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > Detailing

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

Detailing The art of having gleam and sparkle in your ride and pride. From fixing an abused finish to keeping your perfect one that way.

Unread 11-22-2007, 03:15 PM   #1
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road
Default Polishes.......

Just came off an unnamed site that suggested the following (and no I am not smoking crack) 1) clay bar, 2) wax, 3) polish 4) top coat. OMG ya gotta be sh***in me!.

Love the clay bar and the results, use a good quality paste wax and usually follow it with a spray detailing (Flash Grape) as a final.

What do you guys do, and no I will not pay $30+ for farkin wax

Ken

OOps might need moved to the detailing section (the turkey made me do it)
Unread 11-22-2007, 09:12 PM   #2
Gary S

Name :
Gary S has disabled reputation

If a car is really bad the usual detail process is:
1. clay to remove contaminates embeded in the paint
2. polish to remove light scratches
3. sealant and/or wax for protection

The steps you need to take depends on the condition of your paint.

To me $30 for a great wax or sealant is a small price to pay especially when you compare it to cost per application and the cost of labor to apply it. If you apply it property (very thin) you should get about 10 details out of it. That puts the cost at about $3.00 per detail. I don't know how much you value your labor but even at minimum wage it comes out to a lot more then $3.00 per detail. Also a lot of the really good waxes and sealants go on and wipe off so easy it really cuts down on your labor.

To me making one of my cars look really great is worth a lot more then the small cost of a great wax or sealant to detail it. The cost of my labor to detail a car is aways a much greater cost in my opinion. Detailing a car right does make a difference.

Last edited by Gary S; 11-23-2007 at 07:10 AM.
Gary S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2007, 09:20 PM   #3
Rich427
'69 Vert/'01 Vert/'04 Z16

Name :
Rich427 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap142 View Post
Just came off an unnamed site that suggested the following (and no I am not smoking crack) 1) clay bar, 2) wax, 3) polish 4) top coat. OMG ya gotta be sh***in me!.

Love the clay bar and the results, use a good quality paste wax and usually follow it with a spray detailing (Flash Grape) as a final.

What do you guys do, and no I will not pay $30+ for farkin wax

Ken

OOps might need moved to the detailing section (the turkey made me do it)
Ken,

There have been a number of posts on the different "brands" of detailing products and if you ask a bunch of people on "brands", you will get a bunch of different responses. Find the brands or individual products that work for you and stick with them.

I used to be a big Zaino guy and loved the results, but there were a few issues that I did not care for in the Zaino line. I moved over to Adam's products when I found that I got similar or better results with an easier or quicker application.

As far as your first question, I don't think you wax before you polish. And I don't know what top coat means and this might be specific to a brand. When I do a total detail, I 1) clay bar - to clean the surface of the paint, 2) polish (if there are minor scratches, this is were I take care of them) - to enhance the shine/luster of the paint, 3) wax - to put a protective coating on the newly polished finish. I don't do all of these steps each time I detail the car. I only clay bar the car once or twice a year. Prior to a show, I will polish the car and then wax it. Once at the show I will then use a quality detail spray to keep things looking good.

I do have and use a Porter Cable random orbit buffer and I am quite happy with it. It helps out the old man's elbow and speeds up the application process tremendously. Well, that's what I do, but I am sure you will get a number of different responses. I just don't think anyone should recommend waxing before polish and I hope that was just a typo on their website.

Rich

2014 Z51 7 Speed Convertible
Laguna Blue/Grey/Grey
Rich427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2007, 07:02 AM   #4
gmjunkie
Corvette,GM Classic Freak

Name : I'm Not Post'n in BOI
gmjunkie is on a distinguished road
Default Liquid Ice!!

I use Liquid Ice Clay Bar and Liquid Ice Polish with Excellent Results!!Quick and Easy if you follow the directions!!And the Love Bugs don't stick to it bad after you have 2-3 coats on,Lasts Good Too!!

[u]See Post Here!![/U]
Unread 11-23-2007, 09:11 AM   #5
C5Rick

Name : Rick Hice
C5Rick has disabled reputation
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap142 View Post

I only use a clay bar about once or twice a year. It really depends on how rough the surface feels.

Next I use a polish , again not every time I wax. Maybe 4 times a year.

Finally I wax and I do this about every 6-7 weeks. This can depend on the wax. I use Meguiars NXT. I love the wax, but it's not known for it's durability. In January, Meguiars will offer a new version of NXT with more durability. I wax by hand.

I use a spray detailer once or twice a week. Meguairs Ultimate Spray Detailer.

http://www.meguiars.com/

Just remember a lot depends on the paint color, w/wo clear coat, and type (metallics) and with my techniques, I've never had a problem with being
Too Shiny
Unread 11-23-2007, 09:21 AM   #6
zzzona

Name :
zzzona has disabled reputation

FARKIN WAX.... Who makes that?
zzzona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2007, 09:53 AM   #7
Kap142

Name :
Kap142 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5Rick View Post
I only use a clay bar about once or twice a year. It really depends on how rough the surface feels.

Next I use a polish , again not every time I wax. Maybe 4 times a year.

Finally I wax and I do this about every 6-7 weeks. This can depend on the wax. I use Meguiars NXT. I love the wax, but it's not known for it's durability. In January, Meguiars will offer a new version of NXT with more durability. I wax by hand.

I use a spray detailer once or twice a week. Meguairs Ultimate Spray Detailer.

http://www.meguiars.com/

Just remember a lot depends on the paint color, w/wo clear coat, and type (metallics) and with my techniques, I've never had a problem with being
Too Shiny
Thanks Rick, I basicly follow the steps you take. I too. Like Meguairs products. Goldie shines greatly already was just seeing if another approach might be an improvement.

She doesn't look too shaby now.
Attached Images