The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 01-19-2008, 05:15 PM   #1
Valeo

Name :
Valeo has disabled reputation
Default My Story

Hi all! I am new to the website and I have a question or two for perhaps you can guide me through. I do not know much of anything about cars. I turn 18 in a month and I currently drive a depressing 1996 Mazda Protege. So I got to looking around at some vehicles i thought I would like. (Mind you, I have always loved corvettes but it never came into mind) I have been looking at the dodge rams... until now. A couple days ago i was looking on AutoTrader and I thought, what if i was to get an older car and fix it up to look new, my parents are crazy on the whole insurance thing so i thought an older car would be less insurance and perhaps even a project for me... so i started looking at some older classics and such. Well, I came across a 1985 Corvette. I never looked into the older cars 80s-90s because i basically thought they would be crap, most of them are. But I analyzed the 85 corvette for the first time and now I want one. Here are my questions:

1. Will insurance kill me on an 1985 Corvette? - I looked it up and it was more affordable then a 2004 dodge ram. What do you think? (Mind you i am turning 18)

2. Am I getting myself into more then I can handle? - I am willing to pay whatever knowing that I will love the car and such.. but do you think it will be too much $ and hassle at my age? (And the fact i do not know much about cars and finding parts for an older car)

In the meantime I will read the forums and try to suck up all the information I can.
Valeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2008, 05:29 PM   #2
chris308
spam sniper

Name : Chris Huff
chris308 is on a distinguished road

First off

It doesn't cost anything to call different insurance Co.'s and get a quote. Shop around even try brokers, sometimes they can find you the best rates.

Good luck with your search.
Unread 01-19-2008, 06:23 PM   #3
Dick
My two boo's \/

Name :
Dick has disabled reputation

Im 21 and use esurance for both my vette and f-350. full coverage im paying a little over $300/month. also if you can float an LT-1 (92+) get that.
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2008, 08:13 PM   #4
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris308 View Post
First off

It doesn't cost anything to call different insurance Co.'s and get a quote. Shop around even try brokers, sometimes they can find you the best rates.

Good luck with your search.
Very good advice and the place to start.87-96 c-4's we're decent cars and are somewhat affordable.

I wish you luck as I'm sure all the people of florida forum do also.Your request for info was well written.

Last edited by vett boy; 01-19-2008 at 08:15 PM. Reason: really blew it
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2008, 08:28 PM   #5
Valeo

Name :

Thanks! I will do some investigating on insurance. So how hard is it going to be for me to refurbish an old corvette?
Unread 01-19-2008, 08:52 PM   #6
vett boy

Name :
vett boy has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valeo View Post
Thanks! I will do some investigating on insurance. So how hard is it going to be for me to refurbish an old corvette?
I'd hook up with a Corvette mentor at your age.Your address is Florida which is a start.Find a member or two in your area that own a c-4.

Most corvette owners are more than willing to help you.Try going to a few shows and ask questions.Time is cheap.
vett boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2008, 09:02 PM   #7
Dick
My two boo's \/

Name :
Dick has disabled reputation

the parts arent cheap. Its all going to depend on whats wrong with the car and how much you can spend.

What all is wrong with the car youre looking at?
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2008, 09:23 PM   #8
Valeo

Name :

Right now I am not looking to buy a car right away. However, I am keeping my eyes open for something good to come around. In a few months (When I Graduate) I will begin to seriously look around. As of now I am just eager to learn and get some opinions until then. Like you own a c4. Why did you chose a c4 out of all the other cars?
Unread 01-19-2008, 11:25 PM   #9
coolassbrad

Name :
coolassbrad is on a distinguished road

check out corvette shop and supplies in tampa his web site shows c4 vettes starting at 3200 bucks
coolassbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2008, 11:49 PM   #10
THOR

Name :
THOR will become famous soon enough

Your honesty and brevity is refreshing. Your ideal car will show up and when it does, you'll appreciate it more because of your hard work and patience. I will say only from a father's perspective-please respect the power and speed of the vette or you'll end up maimed or dead. Just because the car has got power and performance doesn't mean you drive like a race car driver on every street. I hope you'll take this for what it's worth and I wish you luck on your journey. By the way, to this Forum. This is an excellent place to hang out and collaborate with others.
THOR is offline   Reply With Quote