The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club

Corvette Top Sites

Go Back   The ALL Florida Online Corvette Club > General Corvette Forums > General Corvette Discussions

Photo Gallery Screen Saver!      

General Corvette Discussions Just general "shootin' the breeze" types of discussions related to Corvettes.

Unread 11-25-2006, 01:30 AM   #1
Guro305
Heathen

Name :
Guro305 is on a distinguished road
Default Need advise on regular tires.

Hey guys, I need to replace one maybe two tires. I have Bridgestone Potenzas SO-3s pole positions on my vette currently and I love the way they look, feel, and sound.....quite.

However, I really don't like the way they seem to wear out really quickly and the price. I'm looking for some new tires and I'm just looking for opinions on what you guys use(d) and what works. I do like the occasional flooring of the pedal but for the most part I don't drive rough and aggressively. I do love hitting the corners however and love the lack of body roll I'm getting now. Not to mention I want to keep the same profile I have now.

What regular tires are you guys using and also I know I've asked this before but I want to know from someone who has used it or is using it, can you use the TPS on regular tires?

-C5 Chevy Corvette - Torch Red
-Gen 3 Pontiac Trans Am - Pearl Black
-B14 Nissan Sentra GXE - Pearl Black
Guro305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 07:58 AM   #2
Mekanic
Injector Guy

Name :
Mekanic is on a distinguished road

Firehawk Wide Ovals here, they'll rock your socks.

The TPS will work fine on normal tires. You just wont be able to drive on them if they're flat.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ace=0&minLoad=

youll have to look up your size, but just check the reviews, these tires rock.
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 10:46 AM   #3
Rich Z
Internet Sanitation Engineer

Name : Rich Zuchowski
Rich Z will become famous soon enoughRich Z will become famous soon enough

Not sure if this is just an old wive's tale or not, but from what I have heard, it is not recommended to but different brands of tires on he vette. All four corners need to have the same type of tire on them. Seems that there could be some severe handling issues if you do that.
Unread 11-25-2006, 11:17 AM   #4
9T8Vette
Been around for awhile

Name :
9T8Vette is on a distinguished road

Hey Partner ,i would say Richz is right there.I would replace the bad tires with the same type or buy 4 new 1s.Under 900.00 you can put 4 Kumho Escta MX non-runflats .
Unread 11-25-2006, 12:23 PM   #5
Guro305
Heathen

Name :

Yeah that is true but $900 right before Christmas...................that's suicidal!!!! I was planning on doing two at a time since the fronts were good and it's only the rear that is bad. I'm glad you mentioned the Kuhmos because I was looking into those.

Do you have experience with them? I also looked through tirerack.com and was surprised that the highest rated ultra-performance summer tire they had was a General!!!!!! Not only their highest rated but cheapest!!!! I ran General tires for years on my Firebird and had nothing but luck with them but wasn't sure on my 'vette.

Unread 11-25-2006, 12:34 PM   #6
9T8Vette
Been around for awhile

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guro305
Yeah that is true but $900 right before Christmas...................that's suicidal!!!! I was planning on doing two at a time since the fronts were good and it's only the rear that is bad. I'm glad you mentioned the Kuhmos because I was looking into those.

Do you have experience with them? I also looked through tirerack.com and was surprised that the highest rated ultra-performance summer tire they had was a General!!!!!! Not only their highest rated but cheapest!!!! I ran General tires for years on my Firebird and had nothing but luck with them but wasn't sure on my 'vette.
Yeah i can understand with Christmas around the corner it would be tough. I still have a full set with wheels i am selling on ebay.I put around 900 miles and i love them.They are good tires for the money here's a link to my ebay ad:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...4126370&rd=1,1 check them out there is always the charge card
Unread 11-25-2006, 09:59 PM   #7
Guro305
Heathen

Name :

Those are sweet but I won't chuck my Z06 rims. So since I was leaning towards the Kumhos, how did they handle around corners? Also, did I see that right? You put 295s on there?!

Unread 11-25-2006, 10:34 PM   #8
9T8Vette
Been around for awhile

Name :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guro305
Those are sweet but I won't chuck my Z06 rims. So since I was leaning towards the Kumhos, how did they handle around corners? Also, did I see that right? You put 295s on there?!
Yep you saw it right .i change from the 245 fr. and 275 rr. to 265 fr. and 295 rr.And with the car lowered to the max she handle like a dream.They were alot tougher to spin vs the old goodyear runcraps